New Asus AI recovery utility not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

omega52

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006
My new Asus U56E has a utility to create recovery DVDs. When I launch it, it responds with "Recovery partition does not exist." In disk manager I can see this partition & in "computer" I can see the drive & the files in it. Windows boot manager (F9) at boot does not show the option of Windows EMS Enabled. Asus says that without that the burner utility will not work. Support also told me that if I use other software to create an image, it may not have permissions to read hidden folders that have system drivers, so may not create useful restore discs.
Now, here's where my creativity enters the picture. I tried to shrink the OS partition & did to the smaller size it allowed. That created unallocated space. Since I have not figured out how to add that space to the Data partition, I re-extended the OS partition to it's original size. Should be back to OOB configuration, right. This action on my part may be why the restore disc create utility can't see the recovery partition, even though I didn't touch it.

Any insight into this is appreciated. BTW Asus is escalating this because I want them to give me the discs! They want me to pay $50 for the set!

Thanks,
kev

Solution

Nlite10dnoob

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011

I am very pleased to announce that I finally have the solution to this problem. I've had the same issue for months. I called Asus tech support and asked geeksquad at bestbuy. Both referred me to each other -_-...anyway you're ganna want to open the "AI Recovery" folder found in "program files x86" on you're harddrive. Mine was in the original (C) drive, I state this because I have/had 3 plus the one "Recovery (R)" drive from this issue. SO from program files x86, go to ASUS, then AI Recovery. Once in this folder scroll down to "ChangeHD" (type:application), its size is about 87kb. open/run the app. as an administrator. that should unmount/hide and put the partition files back to where they originally were. It doesn't take long at all, and once its finished you can run the AI Recovery burner normally as it should.

This issue frustrated me for quite some, so I had to post this since I couldn't find the solution anywhere else. I also made a tutorial on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEbCKgMWbas&context=C362f3a0ADOEgsToPDskJcGL-4wz20OoQ1pEqzh60a because I tired looking there too for answers.

Solution

bugeyed

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Wow, thanks! I will try this in the morning. If this works, I will vote for you for whatever you run for!
Any chance this will screw something up? Just asking. Probably should do a backup first.

Cheers,
kev
Edit: It worked! I am very grateful for your response.

Thank you,
kev

Status
Not open for further replies.