Cheep notebook with 2 haddrives

hail_77

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
I am looking for a laptop that I can install 2 hard drives in. Processing Power and software are a non issue as I will be running a light version of Linux. I am more concerned about the physical size as I have to pack it around. Any suggestions would be much appreciated

hail_77

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
thanks for the prompt response

external drive is not really an option. I am currently using an external usb raid 1 drive to store my data. I need some thing I can dual boot as a service laptop. One drive to have my important day to day business stuff on it and the other drive to boot with varying operating systems to interface with old industrial computers. I do not want to use vm ware or virtual box for this as this adds a layer of software to get my com to go through.
trying to save carrying a second laptop. I do not want to run multiple portions because if I mess up the master boot record or corrupt some thing and lose access to my day to day stuf i am in a world of hurt. the service stuf is easy to restore if I screw it up;-)

do you know if there is any thing available from Asus or if some one has put together a sight that I can sort through the specs for dual hard drive capability.

shadamus

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
If you don't want to limit your choices to those systems with two internal bays, and if you don't always need an optical drive, you might consider the optical drive caddies available from companies like NewModeUS.com, I've bought two of theirs for use in two different laptops (14" HP dm4 and 15" ASUS N53SV-XV1), both with good results.

They also sell a converter cable if you want to use the removed optical drive as an external USB drive.

Highly recommended -- by me! ;-)