Searching for the right Laptop...NEED HELP!

vpolius

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008
Hello,

I have a question, I am a college student, A computer science major to be exact. I am looking to replace my current laptop. I play a lot of world of warcraft, do a lot of coding, watches videos, and listen to music on my current laptop. I am looking to replace it with something that can handle all of this and also be able to run world of warcraft comfortably and hopefully on ultra settings. I would prefer it be small, 14 inches for the most. I was looking at the 2010 macbook pro, the one that has the nvidia GPU in it. Any suggestions?

Hello vpolius;

Right now, more questions than suggestions.
Like, do you have a budget? What is your current laptop? Would be embarrassing to get a suggestion less capable than you already have.

Take a look at the Laptop Buyers FAQ linked below for a good start.

vpolius

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008
Right now my budget is $1300.00, I currently use an HP DV6-1260se. With 4gigs ddr2, 2.30 GHz AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-85 Dual-Core Mobile Processor, 500gig harddrive, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 with 1gig of memory.

Wisecracker

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
The Dv6 with the AMD Llano A8-3500m APU-6630m should be the ticket.

UVD3, easily more than twice the battery life of your current rig and the 6630m graphics are probably an additional 2/3's more powerful than your current graphics.

vpolius

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008
Hmm I am not a fan of hp because I have had the most probs with them since they tend to overheat. plus my current one is dying because of that very same issue

Wisecracker

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
I'm guessing that the Llano is available from other OEMs, and most likely will run quite a bit cooler (and longer) than your current rig -- and I suspect much cooler than an nVidia GPU add-on.

You could look it up at notebookcheck.com

edit: Ooops -- that's .net

vpolius

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008
hmmm but do you think it will be able to handle the stuff i do? Especially playing world of warcraft on ultra settings? because i am tired of playing games on crappy low graphics settings...so much so that i am willing to take another 15 inch laptop