Solved! Acer 5517 new hd, dvd reader broken..help

terisey

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
I am trying to repair my brother's acer aspire 5517....it doesn't boot up, and he has broken the dvd reader.....so I have replaced the hard drive and bought a portable media drive....however, since I can not boot the computer it doesn't recognize the media drive. whether i use f10, f8, f12 it tells me to check the Cable Connection, and CDBOOT: memory overflow error...

When I use f2, it asks for a password...which unfortunately he changed and can not remember....

I have the recovery disks that he purchased from Acer...but they are no help since I can't get anything to read them.....

Help please....

Solution
Well, you first problem is getting past the BIOS password

unfortunately, since we cannot verify your ownership of the machine, we don't provide support with getting past the password protection. you are welcome to seek the solution elsewhere and come back when you need help resolving the booting problem

AntiZig

Distinguished
Well, you first problem is getting past the BIOS password

unfortunately, since we cannot verify your ownership of the machine, we don't provide support with getting past the password protection. you are welcome to seek the solution elsewhere and come back when you need help resolving the booting problem

Solution

terisey

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

I understand...thanks anyway, I think we will just take it to a computer place, it is over my head....my brother is learning disabled and I was just trying to help him out.