What is the fastest hard drive i can install in Acer aspire 5750G?

robotrobbie

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
What version of SATA does Acer aspire 5750G support?
how can I find out ?
I know the current HDD is SATA 300 but does the optical bay support that too ?
I plan to put a SSD in the HDD bay and a HDD in the Optical Bay in a caddy
Many Thanks in anticipation

robotrobbie

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Thanks for the link. Assuming thats the right motherboard (I don't know how to tell) it says the fist two ports are Sata 600 and the next 4 are Sata 300 . But It does not say which are connected to the tow bays the HDD and Optical Drive Bay. How can I tell ?

Has anyone installed a SATA 600 device in any of the bays ?

bliq

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
It's very likely that while the sata 300 support is in the chipset, Acer would only use the sata 600 ports since presumably you won't have more than 2 SATA devices in a laptop. that's why most sandy bridge laptops didn't need to be recalled- they were affected but the sata 300 ports were never used.

DonBarto

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
Hi robotrobbie, did you already found out about the SATA II (300) or III (600)?

I also bought the 5750G for my girlfriend last year and i have 2 SSD's at home (1 is SATA II, the other is III) and i like to put 1 in her laptop.

I checked the specifications with Speccy (a program from Piriform, maker of Ccleaner, totally legit) and it told me the interface/connector is only SATA II. It didn't give me information about the optical drive type of SATA though.

If you want to put an SSD in the HDD bay, you'll need to remove 2 pieces of plastic that prevent your SSD from plugging in all the way (because unlike normal HDD's, the SSD casing completely covers the SATA connectors). I wouldn't recommend this as long that your laptop is still covered by warranty.

Pretty stupid of Acer not to make a decent space for an SSD and even more stupid to use the SATA II for the HDD bay. That's also why some of the 5750G's (MFG Date before 1104) were recalled.

So the only option for me seems to be an optical bay caddy. I'm looking for one now and i'm pretty sure when I'll plug it in, Speccy will tell me what kind of SATA it connects to.

I know this thread is 7 months old but i still like to hear what you found out since then... ;)

DonBarto

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
Still no answer but found out mysef: I bought an optical bay caddy, installed the SSD and Speccy told me the expected answer: another SATA II interface.

So the answer to your original question: Both SATA versions for the HDD and the optical bay are SATA II (300).

Greets, ;)