Can my Toshiba R705 P25 Portege laptop have both a ssd and a hdd insta

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Hi Kids,

Does anybody know if my Toshiba Portege R705 P25 laptop can have both it's regular HDD and a SSD installed at the same time or where I can find this information. I can't find it on the Toshiba site.

In other words is there available space for both drives? It's a 13.3 inch screen laptop, is pretty thin and weighs 3.2 lbs so it's small.

And if I can install a SSD, is it difficult to move the OS (W7HP 64) over to the SSD as a boot and a few apps/programs drive?

Thanks all.

Pyree

Distinguished
I was about to suggest you get a caddy and swap your dvd drive with a HDD, but I can not find one for your model. Also it appears your dvd drive is actually connected by internal usb, so the chance of swapping it out for a HDD is very slim.

I suggest you get a larger ssd, 120GB or else you may run into mobile storage problem (I am not sure how much you want to carry on the move). You may also want to use a large sd card or expresscard ssd (expensive but faster) for added storage but getting a larger ssd is the better option because of the much higher ssd performance and the difference in price between ssd and sd card is very small.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

Thanks WR2,

No, I wanted to have both a SSD and the regular HDD just for speed and storage, but if it's not possible, I'll just stick with the regular HDD. It's not like the computer is slow and I've hardly used much of the HD anyway. RAM is getting so cheap, maybe I'll just go from 4 gigs to 8 gigs of RAM. That will probably help. Thanks.

Gary

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

Thanks to you too Pyree. Please see my answer to WR2. I'll just stick with the regular HDD if I can't have both drives. I'm just geeking around. I'll probably just double the amount of RAM because it's getting so cheap. Thanks again.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

The primary reason for adding more RAM is because newegg has it on sale. No particular reason that I NEED more RAM, the laptop runs pretty well as it with it's i3 processor and 4 gigs of RAM and W7 HP 64 bit. I was just sitting around, surfing the net and saw that newegg had some on sale cheap and thought why don't I buy that, it will make my computer even more fabulous. But no, I don't need it. The computer is pretty good as is. I bought it for travel because it's small and light.

Thanks for your input. I do wish I could have an SSD in addition to the HDD in the computer. I guess I'll save it for my desktop.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

Thanks again WR2. So you think it's not worth adding another 4 gigs of RAM to have 8 gigs installed? Would I not really see much improvement in performance with an additional 4 gigs of ram? And like I said before, the computer is not really slow and I mostly use my desktop computer most of the time. Thanks again. Gar

That $40 or so it would take to get a set of 8GB RAM is about 20% of the cost of a decent 128GB SSD.

HDD is a storage place for holding data/files/programs till the CPU calls for it.
SSD is fast storage for holding data/files/programs till the CPU calls for it.
RAM is faster storage for holding data/files/programs till the CPU calls for it. (CPU cache is the fastest storage)

For the average power user's multi-tasking needs 4GB is plenty.
When you start talking about things like Photoshop with huge files and many filters, or multiple VMs, fairly exotic things like that - that's when extra RAM can really reduce calls for data/files/programs from the HDD/SSD that aren't already stored in RAM.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Thanks again WR2,...no, I'm not doing huge Photoshop files. I'm a pretty "ordinary" user. I have a 64 gig SSD for my desktop and a 640 gig WD Caviar Black HDD for my desktop. I'll just leave my laptop as is. It's OK for what I use it for, travel.