New Xbox 360 Literally Can't Red Ring of Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
"Sadly, the new system doesn't accept any of the old memory units, so those still without hard drives on their Xbox 360 Arcade machines will have a bigger challenge in porting over their game saves."

the xbox actually supports external HDDs and memory sticks now, so no, transferring saves wont be an issue.

The_King

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
The main reason PC's will always make more sense to me than consoles your mobo goes faulty and is out of warranty, chuck it get another, graphics card calls it quits and no warranty no problem you can sort it out still but this crap, is something I think is unacceptable my buddy had is 360 red ring of death its just over 3 years old and now it just still in his cupboard. Lets not start a Pc console flaming thingy, just my opinion.

G

Kinect Port is just a USB port with power integrated, to power up Kinect .. that means that in the new XBOX360 you will need only one cable to connect Kinect to xbox, the old one will need two (2 usb's or 1 usb and 1 power plug)for Kinect to work.
So Kinect works with both old and new XBOX's.

daedaluseh

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
If you see the updates, Microsoft still has the red light, the only difference is that it will be in the center of the button (its called... Red Dot of Death, RDoD) .. so if something wrong happens XBOX will turn into the exterminate mode .. (ala Terminator)

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Any USB hard drive?Nip down to Best Buy and grab a 1Tb external?Confirmation would be nice[/citation]

There is a partition size limit, 128gb i think. should be easy enough to google though. this feature was added some months ago as a software update.

subgum

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]welshmousepk[/nom]There is a partition size limit, 128gb i think. should be easy enough to google though. this feature was added some months ago as a software update.[/citation]
Actually, the max space that can be allocated from any FAT32 formatted device is 16gb. If it's formatted as NTSC, it won't work at all.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]Chipi[/nom]Wait a minute... "Kinect port"? Does this mean that Kinect/Natal only works on the new console?[/citation]
And to the rest worring about it.
Ok the reason that ONE of the USB ports is also tagged as Kinect is cause Kinect when connected with older 360s will need additional power connection. That one specific USB in the new 360 console is cause its specifically built to not require to be plugged to the power outlet.

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Any USB hard drive?Nip down to Best Buy and grab a 1Tb external?Confirmation would be nice[/citation]

Any kinda of external USB device like flash and USB HDDs can be connected and used through your 360. The limitation is ONLY 16GB per USB port. With the older 360 means you can have a total of 32GB. Guess it means it will be 80GB lol.. The way this works is that the console recognizes your USB device and asks you if you wanna format the 16GB/>16GB out of its space into the 360 one and use it for 360 storage. Its extremely simple and all. I used it to transfer my data from the 20GB HDD to the 120 and now will use it to move from the 120 to the 250.. :p

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Chipi[/nom]Wait a minute... "Kinect port"? Does this mean that Kinect/Natal only works on the new console?[/citation]

I would venture a guess that there might be a USB adapter at some point.

I can't decide which sounds better...GROD or RROD..

G

I agree with the King. I'd rather use Steam + PC + HDMI to TV than deal with a console.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
LOL, it's still Microsoft though. It WILL end up crashing, getting viruses, and just making your day miserable in general. I'll be keeping my PS3 thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.