Your question
Closed

New Xbox 360 Literally Can't Red Ring of Death

Tags:
  • Xbox 360
  • Green
Last response: in Streaming Video & TVs
June 18, 2010 8:06:53 AM

It has USB drives. Memory card--->USB USB---->HDD assuming that the save game allows you to copy/move it.
Score
June 18, 2010 8:07:38 AM

Darn. Green Ring of Death sounds nowhere near as frightening as Red Ring of Death.
Score
June 18, 2010 8:09:27 AM

Ohh finally integrated wireless. Welcome to the new age!
Score
June 18, 2010 8:12:27 AM

"Sadly, the new system doesn't accept any of the old memory units, so those still without hard drives on their Xbox 360 Arcade machines will have a bigger challenge in porting over their game saves."

the xbox actually supports external HDDs and memory sticks now, so no, transferring saves wont be an issue.
Score
June 18, 2010 8:21:53 AM

well i'm glad they didn't call it the 360 slim... i like what engadget calls it... stealthbox
Score
June 18, 2010 9:55:12 AM

Wait a minute... "Kinect port"? Does this mean that Kinect/Natal only works on the new console?
Score
June 18, 2010 9:57:29 AM

The main reason PC's will always make more sense to me than consoles your mobo goes faulty and is out of warranty, chuck it get another, graphics card calls it quits and no warranty no problem you can sort it out still but this crap, is something I think is unacceptable my buddy had is 360 red ring of death its just over 3 years old and now it just still in his cupboard. Lets not start a Pc console flaming thingy, just my opinion.
Score
Anonymous
June 18, 2010 10:15:15 AM

Kinect Port is just a USB port with power integrated, to power up Kinect .. that means that in the new XBOX360 you will need only one cable to connect Kinect to xbox, the old one will need two (2 usb's or 1 usb and 1 power plug)for Kinect to work.
So Kinect works with both old and new XBOX's.
Score
June 18, 2010 10:16:04 AM

Ah, it's the Return of the Awful Green Things!

(anyone else remember that game?)
Score
June 18, 2010 10:24:57 AM

Adapter! Yeah Kinect will work with old 360s, it was confirmed at E3.
Score
June 18, 2010 10:37:57 AM

If you see the updates, Microsoft still has the red light, the only difference is that it will be in the center of the button (its called... Red Dot of Death, RDoD) .. so if something wrong happens XBOX will turn into the exterminate mode .. (ala Terminator)
Score
June 18, 2010 10:39:39 AM

back_by_demandAny USB hard drive?Nip down to Best Buy and grab a 1Tb external?Confirmation would be nice

There is a partition size limit, 128gb i think. should be easy enough to google though. this feature was added some months ago as a software update.
Score
June 18, 2010 11:03:08 AM

welshmousepkThere is a partition size limit, 128gb i think. should be easy enough to google though. this feature was added some months ago as a software update.

Actually, the max space that can be allocated from any FAT32 formatted device is 16gb. If it's formatted as NTSC, it won't work at all.
Score
June 18, 2010 11:10:20 AM

^NTSC?? LOL I think you mean NTFS.
Score
June 18, 2010 11:15:45 AM

ChipiWait a minute... "Kinect port"? Does this mean that Kinect/Natal only works on the new console?

And to the rest worring about it.
Ok the reason that ONE of the USB ports is also tagged as Kinect is cause Kinect when connected with older 360s will need additional power connection. That one specific USB in the new 360 console is cause its specifically built to not require to be plugged to the power outlet.

back_by_demandAny USB hard drive?Nip down to Best Buy and grab a 1Tb external?Confirmation would be nice

Any kinda of external USB device like flash and USB HDDs can be connected and used through your 360. The limitation is ONLY 16GB per USB port. With the older 360 means you can have a total of 32GB. Guess it means it will be 80GB lol.. The way this works is that the console recognizes your USB device and asks you if you wanna format the 16GB/>16GB out of its space into the 360 one and use it for 360 storage. Its extremely simple and all. I used it to transfer my data from the 20GB HDD to the 120 and now will use it to move from the 120 to the 250.. :p 
Score
June 18, 2010 12:22:24 PM

How to fix the red ring of death? Remove the red LEDs...!
Score
June 18, 2010 12:39:32 PM

ChipiWait a minute... "Kinect port"? Does this mean that Kinect/Natal only works on the new console?

I would venture a guess that there might be a USB adapter at some point.

I can't decide which sounds better...GROD or RROD..
Score
Anonymous
June 18, 2010 12:48:36 PM

I agree with the King. I'd rather use Steam + PC + HDMI to TV than deal with a console.
Score
June 18, 2010 1:06:00 PM

LOL, it's still Microsoft though. It WILL end up crashing, getting viruses, and just making your day miserable in general. I'll be keeping my PS3 thanks.
Score
June 18, 2010 1:24:42 PM

wotan31LOL, it's still Microsoft though. It WILL end up crashing, getting viruses, and just making your day miserable in general. I'll be keeping my PS3 thanks.

Enjoy playing games with 1/5 the players
Score
June 18, 2010 1:26:11 PM

brendano257I would venture a guess that there might be a USB adapter at some point.I can't decide which sounds better...GROD or RROD..

Actually, one of the E3 Xbox 360 videos indicate that the old Xbox 360s will require an extra power adapter is all, as previously stated. Kinect will come with a USB adapter...MS has already stated multiple times that "Natal" would be 100% compatible with all existing Xbox 360s.
Score
June 18, 2010 1:35:34 PM

The_KingThe main reason PC's will always make more sense to me than consoles your mobo goes faulty and is out of warranty, chuck it get another, graphics card calls it quits and no warranty no problem you can sort it out still but this crap, is something I think is unacceptable my buddy had is 360 red ring of death its just over 3 years old and now it just still in his cupboard. Lets not start a Pc console flaming thingy, just my opinion.

While I agree to a certain point, If my motherboard or graphics card bites the dust its more expensive than just replacing the console. Here is the reason I play mostly console over my pc. All my friends have a 360. So COD, Battlefield, Most of those games I play on console. Portal, half life, Crysis, I play on my pc. So I can either have good graphics or play with friends. Sucks/ Also my girlfriend hates when I go downstairs for 10hours straight.
Score
June 18, 2010 1:39:18 PM

I like the looks of the new console, but I can't imagine they've solved the heating issues.
Score
June 18, 2010 1:46:21 PM

Keyword being "Enjoy playing games"
Score
June 18, 2010 2:03:58 PM

the form factor isnt much different. are we sure it wont overheat?
and what does it mean if the psu has no ribs?
Score
June 18, 2010 2:23:18 PM

sinsearDarn. Green Ring of Death sounds nowhere near as frightening as Red Ring of Death.

We'll just call it the Green Glow of Gaiety... or just Green Glow of Doom, if you want to be more politically correct.
Score
June 18, 2010 2:25:09 PM

gho3tAdapter! Yeah Kinect will work with old 360s, it was confirmed at E3.

They'll probably go the "Apple" route and charge $20 for that adapter in addition to the device itself.
Score
June 18, 2010 2:39:20 PM

rollerdiscoEnjoy playing games with 1/5 the players

Math is definitely not your strong point.
Score
June 18, 2010 2:40:18 PM

The die shrink to 45nm as well as combining the CPU and GPU on the same die I would think should resolve most of the heat issues. On top of that the new unit only draws 135 watts as opposed to 200 watts of the original which should mean the CPU/GPU is drawing a lot less power and generating a lot less heat.
Score
June 18, 2010 2:41:18 PM

no video card spec?... or are they still thinking?

I hope they go with something DX11, but to make that affordable they'd have to go ATI.
Score
June 18, 2010 3:23:08 PM

So what you are saying is it can still die but now there will be no red lights so it is still a piece of MS crap.
Score
June 18, 2010 3:36:45 PM

It's funny how Sony went backwards with the PS3 (mechanical buttons, removed ports, etc) while the 360 has moved forward (touch sensitive buttons, built in wireless/etc). I guess the PS3 price drops did dent the 360 sales a bit.
Score
June 18, 2010 3:55:00 PM

fusion_gtxI like the looks of the new console, but I can't imagine they've solved the heating issues.

Too bad there's no BIOS to enter, and no real way to do an actual stress test on this thing. I'd undervolt everything and lose the heat quick!
Score
June 18, 2010 4:23:22 PM

Nope.
In the old Xbox 360, you use a USB port and and a wall power socket to Kinect connect, umm, I mean connect Kinect to your Xbox.
The stealthbox gives Kinect enough power through the Kinect port.
Score
June 18, 2010 4:25:49 PM

superblahman123no video card spec?... or are they still thinking?I hope they go with something DX11, but to make that affordable they'd have to go ATI.

You can't just add a Dx11 card and expect it to run DX11 in a console. It requires updating the OS, probably the motherboard, charging extra for a mostly different system, etc. The Dx in the 360 is an early version of Dx10, nothing more. The best they can do with the GPU in the console is a die shrink, like the other consoles have done in the past.
Score
June 18, 2010 4:47:07 PM

Capacitive touch on/off is kinda cool, though it would be easy to turn off by accident unless I'm missing something (probably)
Score
June 18, 2010 4:50:03 PM

fusion_gtxI like the looks of the new console, but I can't imagine they've solved the heating issues.

Why's that?

If you look at the specs, the PSU is 135W - and that includes the power to supply a kinect if used plus any USB devices - so you anicipate 135W includes some breathing space.

Compare that to the 205W for the original Xbox360 and you can see that as the component die-sizes have shrunk and more components been integrated onto single chips, the power requirement and efficiency has improved.

My conservative estimate (based on limited specs)is that the new system probably puts out about 35% less heat than the original Xbox360....
Score
June 18, 2010 5:21:59 PM

The_KingThe main reason PC's will always make more sense to me than consoles your mobo goes faulty and is out of warranty, chuck it get another,~~ Lets not start a Pc console flaming thingy, just my opinion.

But that doesn't matter if there ARE NO GAMES for PC to play, eh? Maybe a few games.

Lets see... Gears of War 2 and 3... no PC version. HALO 3? Its been 5 years... NO HALO 3? Lets see, MS-games... MS-Xbox, nope - not even MS is supporting PC gaming, why bother with DX11?
Score
June 18, 2010 5:22:29 PM

Why do they list the HD Storage specs as "Memory"? Makes them look rather ignorant and it makes me wonder what the actual memory is.
Score
June 18, 2010 5:34:14 PM

With a single red-dot of death... besides Terminate mode, how about CYCLON mode?

We need to have a cute-death name for the 360, it'll need it sooner or later.

Still an ugly little box that eats discs...
Score
June 18, 2010 5:54:34 PM

BelardoBut that doesn't matter if there ARE NO GAMES for PC to play, eh? Maybe a few games.Lets see... Gears of War 2 and 3... no PC version. HALO 3? Its been 5 years... NO HALO 3? Lets see, MS-games... MS-Xbox, nope - not even MS is supporting PC gaming, why bother with DX11?

Did you notice all those games were made by MS? Serioussly bug off this a PC fourm not a XBOX vs Wii vs PS3 fourm.
Score
June 18, 2010 5:56:12 PM

UserremovedDid you notice all those games were made by MS? Serioussly bug off this a PC fourm not a XBOX vs Wii vs PS3 fourm.

Oh and I can live without Halo 3 but maybe you forgot we have Crysis and more crap.
Score
June 18, 2010 6:06:10 PM

UH... and your point about MS? My Point is that MS-themselves are killing off PC-gaming, not just other companies, DUH! And what of my posts had anything to do with Wii or PS3? And *IF* this was a PC fourm, then what is the 360 Midget doing here at all?

By the way, the funny video at E3 of the 360 Midget eating Alan Wake:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwINtoQpyNc

So is the 360 Midget a boy or girl console? Alan Wake should know... :) 
Score
June 18, 2010 6:14:06 PM

The old 360 had the Kingston lock security feature on it, I used it before...
Score
Anonymous
June 18, 2010 6:41:30 PM

No red ring of death... just like Win3.1 didn't have UAE's.... (why are my comments not showing!)
Score
June 18, 2010 7:20:53 PM

BelardoBut that doesn't matter if there ARE NO GAMES for PC to play, eh? Maybe a few games.Lets see... Gears of War 2 and 3... no PC version. HALO 3? Its been 5 years... NO HALO 3? Lets see, MS-games... MS-Xbox, nope - not even MS is supporting PC gaming, why bother with DX11?

dragon age 2 - feb 1 2011
mafia 2 - aug 24
max payne 3 - sept 26
medal of honor - oct 12
starcraft 2 - july 27
lost planet 2 - released
just cause 2 - released
Brink - sept 7
blur - released
crysis 2 - christmas
Singularity - june 27
Fallout new vegas - oct 19

this is a list of games that I want for the pc. The ones marked release are games that I want that I haven't gotten yet because I haven't gotten bored with the old ones (been playing fallout 3 with mod quests and it sucked me right back in again added about 30 hours to my 200-300 hours already played). I also have been playing some old ps2 titles now that they are so cheap I have been playing Persona 3 since I liked P4 so much.

On a side note I do have an xbox 360 but I have almost no games for it since almost all the games once I have gotten around to getting it are out on the pc for a reasonable price. I didn't really like Halo 3. Gears 2 was pretty good but lacked something the original had. Regardless while many of these games are ports the pc is still getting games and as long as the publishers have a say in it they will continue porting to the pc since even with piracy it is easy enough to port that they will still make a profit.
Score
June 18, 2010 7:50:55 PM

I think its a little too late for some of these things in the XBox360. Now that the PS3 game portfolio has filled up, there is little need for an XBox360 over a PC.
Score
June 18, 2010 8:35:39 PM

Kinect port provide both Data and power output...

For old Xbox without the Kinect port, the Kinect will have to drain the power from an AD adaptor.
Score
June 18, 2010 8:35:52 PM

welshmousepk"the xbox actually supports external HDDs and memory sticks now, so no, transferring saves wont be an issue.

true... but w/ 32GB limit (if I am not wrong)....

Score
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
Tom’s guide in the world
  • Germany
  • France
  • Italy
  • Ireland
  • UK
Follow Tom’s guide
Subscribe to our newsletter
  • add to twitter