Solved! 13-14" Gaming Laptop

d4rkspike

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
1. What is your budget?
Around 1,000, less is always better.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
I'd like something around the 13" area, portability. I have a netbook, but it just doesnt have the juice that I want

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Doesn't matter

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable all the way

5. How much battery life do you need?
Around 6 hours would be fine.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes. Medium High if I can. I play WoW mostly, maybe some other FPS, nothing huge.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Multi tab browsing, video playback, streaming video

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500gb is plenty. Bonus points if you can get me a 30-40gb ssd to boot from

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Dell because I can get a discount, but anywhere is fine.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2-3 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Don't

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I've always bought dell, for no real reason

13. What country do you live in?
US

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
all my life i've had laptops that have been crappy, and i'm hoping to have something that can compete with my desktop (i5 2.6, 8gb dd3, 5850 1gb) The goal is the most portability and the most power for the money. I'd like to be able to run most games out there today on medium and not have to think "ugh, i wish I was on my desktop."

Solution
Ok, not to shatter your dreams, but you won't get anything that will compete with a desktop in a 13" laptop, unless you overpay huge bucks for form factor and even then it only MIGHT be able to compete with a desktop.

Another thing is for gaming laptops as soon as you drop below 15" the prices start to go up due to having less space to work with (quality hardware needs room).

(to give you an example I got a very nice 12" laptop that was pretty nice for gaming about 5 years ago, at the time I had to pay $2k for it, because of how small it was, if I got a 15" I would have paid half as much for same components)

with all that said, I haven't seen many small gaming options.

Take a look at alienware M11x and M14x and also have a look at...

AntiZig

Distinguished
Ok, not to shatter your dreams, but you won't get anything that will compete with a desktop in a 13" laptop, unless you overpay huge bucks for form factor and even then it only MIGHT be able to compete with a desktop.

Another thing is for gaming laptops as soon as you drop below 15" the prices start to go up due to having less space to work with (quality hardware needs room).

(to give you an example I got a very nice 12" laptop that was pretty nice for gaming about 5 years ago, at the time I had to pay $2k for it, because of how small it was, if I got a 15" I would have paid half as much for same components)

with all that said, I haven't seen many small gaming options.

Take a look at alienware M11x and M14x and also have a look at asus 13-14" models (maybe this).

Sager doesn't have anything good in that range

MSI has a couple 14" models. (link)

The best you'll be able to get is probably an i7 CPU and a 540M for GPU (which is far below a desktop 5850)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS