Need a laptop

erckman

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
Hello,
Looking for a laptop to play games on (TF2, CoD4, MW2, MW3)and for school but the budget is about $600-$900 dont wanna spend more than 900, somewhere in the $730 range so about 800 after taxes. I was thinking an i5 dual/quad(?) core processor, 4gb ram, no optical drive, windows basic starter word and excel only, nvidia geforce gt 520m 1GB, if possible usb 3.0 and bluetooth, 320gb HDD minimum preferably 500gb. battery life isnt important, screen quality preferably really crisp little glare. First time im buying my own laptop, its gotta last me a while. I also do graphic design (PS) but nothing too fancy like 3d rendering or whtvr else, im still learning.

beenthere

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Many companies should be able to supply what you are looking for. Samsung, HP, Dull, Lenovo, Acer and others. You will find good and bad reviews for all of these mainstream suppliers. If you read the problems you can see if any of them might impact your use.

Most laptops in your price range are going have TN LCD panels with glossy (glare) screens.
If you want to look at matte screens (non-glare) you're going to mostly be looking at business class machines which aren't quite so good for gaming, and cost a bit more.

As WR2 already stated, in your budget you are going to get a crappy TN panel LCD screen. There are very, very few laptops that offers something else other than TN panel technology. The ones that I know of are the 12.5" Lenovo ThinkPad X220 which starts at $899 + $50 for the optional e-IPS panel. The others are part of the HP Elitebook 8000 series, base price starts at around $1,800, but the optional $400 H-IPS panel is only an option on the higher end models (which costs more than $1,600). The ThinkPad X220 is a business laptop. It has a matte finish screen, but it relies on the Intel HD 3000 graphics core which is not ideal for games, but it's better than their old GMA X4500MHD graphics core. The HP Elitebooks are workstation class notebooks so they would be perfect for graphic design with the optional $400 (last time I've checked) H-IPS panel screen. However, they are way out of your budget; for example, the HP EliteBook 8560w is about $1,800 - $2,000 and that is without the optional H-IPS panel (DreamColor).

As WR2 also stated, laptops with matte finish screens tends to be business oriented laptops. Gaming laptops tends to have glossy screens for whatever reason. I don't really like glossy screens, but I decided to buy a Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 anyway to toy around with. To fix or minimize the glossy screen I just ordered a Green Onion anti-glare screen protector. It gets mixed reviews most because it is difficult to install properly, but based on reviews of various screen sizes it does reduce glare. This is the one I've ordered:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DUM9A2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I'm not sure about other notebooks, but my IdeaPad comes with Office 2010 or 2011. You can either buy a license for it, or you can use it for free, but you must deal with advertising. Me? I installed simply installed Excel 2007 and Word 2007 from my disc.

One thing you need to be aware of is heat. Gaming laptops can put out a lot of heat. A laptop cooler is generally recommended when you play games.

ravi12

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
I have suggest the Sony laptop because the laptop battery is long time and cheapest price.

Your can search for best laptop computers and buying process easier, http://www.procompare.com/best-laptops/ categorizes the best laptop based on hundreds of reviews by users and helps to find the best way to buy it.

Thanks.