Need To Buy New Laptop; Which one?

mahcs

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
SUMMARY: My advent laptop of about 4yrs is malfunctioning so I need a new laptop, I need to buy a new one fast but I am looking for a long lasting laptop with battery life over 3 hours, I am really interested in acer aspire series but am getting mixed internet reviews ( I am not a brand's person btw)

1. What is your budget? 0-£500 (about $800)

2. How much battery life do you need? over 3hours

3. Do you want to play games with your laptop? No

4. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) surf the web for my research, only watch videos and online programmes

5. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? enough to store hundreds of essays and pictures

6. How long do you want to keep your laptop? minimum 3 yeras

Any advice and/or comments would be much appreciated!

Hello mahcs;

You're right about Acer's having mixed reviews about reliability. But we know more about past years models than current year models. Generally, laptops in the same price range will have pretty close reliability over time when they have the same general parts installed.
You'd want to look at a specific model rather than the entire brand. All brands have put out 'stinkers' when it comes to features, price and reliability. Acer always owns eMachines and PackardBell.

Some good options for what you need:
Lenovo G560 £300 Lenovo G560 review

Lenovo G570 £350 Lenovo G570 review

HP Pavilion G6 £366 HP Pavilion g6 review

Lenovo IdeaPad Z570 £450 Lenovo IdeaPad Z570 review
Lenovo IdeaPad Z370 £450 13" home entertainment laptop

HP ProBook 4530s £450 HP ProBook 4530s review a 'business class' laptop. The business class models are generally considered a bit more rugged and reliable.

mahcs

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
i am really liking the lenovo G570 i know i stated i am not a gamer but could i still play online games such as old school sonic btw....

Sure, all those online flash games, all the 2D type board and card games will run really well.
And you can even sample nearly all recent 3D games - just at the lowest graphics settings.
Many of the classic 3D games like Counter-Strike: Source, Half Life 2 or World of Warcraft will run on High or Medium graphics.