I know what I want, but I don't know where to look!

Bullion

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
I am trying to find a solution to my problem.

I know exactly what specs I would like to have in my new laptop. However, finding one that is somewhat close and then planning on upgrading after retail seems redundant to me.

For example, I want one of the most recent i5 cpu's and a SSD. Nothing comes with these combinations and if I want to upgrade to SSD its no longer worth the $$.

I am hoping that someone may know of a site/store that would sell "barebones" laptops, so I could pick my processor / screen size, and just get the rest of the stuff from new egg for RESPECTABLE prices... ie. charging +$500 for a 60gb SSD is criminal

Thank you in advance,

Bull

Solution
(1) On ram - Most laptops only provide 2 Slots, Excluding Higer end ones. This limits max Ram to 8 Gigs - until 8 gig Ram is more common and @ a resonable price.

(2) CPU - First indicated an I5, then later specified SB i7. Unless you have specific software that take advantage of the extra cores, the SB I% should be acceptable.

(3) SSD - Yes, normally when included the SSD is NOT an cost effective and yes generally a lower end SSD. All three of My laptops I bought with HDD and bought my oun SSD. Also upped the memory to max.

Look for a laptop that has two HDD bays, then just buy the SSD, Remove HDD, install SSD and operating system then add the HDD back into 2nd Bay for storage. This is what I did for my Samsung RF711-S01.

This...

Bullion

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006

I gave an example of what I meant, did you read the example following it? Perhaps "respectable" wasn't the best choice, but what I was going for, was a price that is not a disgusting ripoff.

Such as this quote from the HP website to upgrade the included HDD to SSD (and a shitty SSD at that):

"160GB (Solid State Drive Flash) +$949.00".

Looking for:

i7-2720QM or better
15.6" or better
MoBo that includes USB 3.0 and HDMI
16GB DDR3 ~ 1600 (or preferentially none)
Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSD (or none)
No OS

I am located in Canada.

No Budget

I want the laptop to last ~ 5 years.

Like I said, I have a really specific target in mind and I am not cool having to pay out the nose for the "upgrades" to my specs, during customization, from sites like HP, Dell, Etc. When I know that I can upgrade this all myself buying the parts online.

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
No portable computer is worth what you pay for it if you compare it to an equivalent desktop. The difference is the premium you pay for portability. Surely you don't think an expensive SSD will be free just because an OEM installs it instead of you.

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
(1) On ram - Most laptops only provide 2 Slots, Excluding Higer end ones. This limits max Ram to 8 Gigs - until 8 gig Ram is more common and @ a resonable price.

(2) CPU - First indicated an I5, then later specified SB i7. Unless you have specific software that take advantage of the extra cores, the SB I% should be acceptable.

(3) SSD - Yes, normally when included the SSD is NOT an cost effective and yes generally a lower end SSD. All three of My laptops I bought with HDD and bought my oun SSD. Also upped the memory to max.

Look for a laptop that has two HDD bays, then just buy the SSD, Remove HDD, install SSD and operating system then add the HDD back into 2nd Bay for storage. This is what I did for my Samsung RF711-S01.

This is what I picked up:
Samsung RF711-S01 (SB I5) - the RF711-S02 is the I7. 17 In Screen, two HDD bays (W/500 gig HDD) Replaced with a Crucial M4 128 Gig SSD. Initally moved the HDD to bay #2, but last night removed it and put in a 128 Gig Sata II SSD for storage - BUT can swap HDD in/out.
Ram - came with a single 4 gig module (ran in single channel mode), the good, only need to purchase a identical 4 gig module (Cheap) for 8 Gigs and then operated in daul channel mode.
Video - has a dedicated video card (540m). Runs off of Intel CPU IGP for 2d graphics but switches to the 540M for 3 D. You did not indicate graphics needs. Laptop came with a Blu-ray Rom/DVD-RW drive and Blu-ray software. (Note The -S02 comes with a standard DVD-RW drive.
Has HDMI and VGA out, 2 -USB 2 and 1 - USB3. No esata.
I bough onsale at Newegg for $750, but have since seen onsale at newegg for less.

Asus has an equivalent 17" laptop for around $1000

Note: I orginally bought a Agility III 120 gig SSD for this Laptop - NO WORKEE. For laptops I do not recommend the SATA III SSDs using the SF22xx controll, UNLESS you can return it FREE if it is incompatable. SATA III SSDs using the Marvel controller seem lis probmatic.

Solution

Bullion

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006

Appreciate the information Chief,

I know there are boards with 4 ram slots, but like you said, they are higher end and still overpriced from the big companies, this will be one of the decisions I have to make.

I do apologize for switching the CPU on the thread, didn't do it intentionally, just got caught up in my own research.

SSD - as far as pricing goes, you can't beat the "big name" system discounts, so installing on my own is probably the best route... Also, really appreciate the info on SSD compatibility, I was unaware.

I was extremely pleased and impressed with the website, www.rjtech.com . They are essentially what I was looking for. Upgrading to SSD was pretty much the cost of the SSD. Havent seen that anywhere else

Thanks again for your contribution.

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
Nice, but pricy
I ended up paying about $1020 vs $1800 (W/ 8 gigs ram and 560m GPU & Blu-ray).
GPU 560m higher end GPU than 540m (Not sure your GPU requirements.
Mine - 17.3 In screen vs the 15.6 in screen (about the same weight to lug around.

Mine: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131116
Over priced @ $980 - Often On sale for $750 or less.+
$750 + With 8 gig Ram (Added &40) and M4 128 Gig SSD ($230).

Side Comment on SSD. The Intel 320 has a bug (Intel currently trying to resolve). The Bug results in the 120 gig SSD being detected as a 8Mb drive and ofcourse all data is GONE! 320 is a SATA II SSD using Intel design, M4 is a SATA III SSD using a Marvel controller using a Crucial/Sandforce firmware. Intel 510 is a SATA III drive using the Marvel Controller (A First, an Intel with a 3rd party controller) But with an Intel developed firmware.