IPod isn't detected by iTunes/laptop

MoscowComrade

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
I have a 120 GB Classic iPod. I've had it for a couple years, and I managed it with my old laptop. I got a new laptop recently so I copied my iTunes library on to a external HDD and moved it to the new laptop. I tried to use it with my new laptop for the first time several days ago, but it wasn't detected.

When I plug it in or remove it the backlight comes on, but neither my laptop, iPod, or iTunes show any indication that the iPod is actually connected. No sync screen on the iPod, no data popping up in iTunes, no USB device connection manager on my toolbar. What's going on? I tried resetting the iPod, but that didn't work.

Yesterday, I decided to do a little experimenting. I tried my iPod with my new laptop. It didn't work. I tried both USB 2.0 ports but no dice. I poked around in the device manager and didn't see anything that I thought might correspond with an iPod. No "USB mass storage device" or anything like that.

I tried my iPod with my old laptop and it did work.

I decided to pop in my new laptop a never before opened flash drive that I purchased recently. It installed properly. I checked both USB ports and it was detected in both of them.

Today, I even uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes in accordance with these steps and still no progress:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1923