Solved! New Gaming Laptop Under $900

itstheMZez

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
Need a new laptop for upcoming diablo 3 and guild wars 2...decided to buy now cause currently league of legends has dropped to about 10 fps sometimes hehe (on lowest settings nonetheless). Wondering if this is a good buy for the price?

http://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-K53SV-A1-15-6-Inch-Versatile-Entertainment/dp/B004XI8P2A/ref=sr_1_20?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1313201502&sr=1-20

or if you want to suggest others, i'm all good.

thing about ASUS im worried about is that ive heard their computers have technical issues often. would try an acer but my friend suggested this laptop saying is it real good performance for the price

1. What is your budget?

$900, can't complain if you go lower though as long as it still performs decent.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

anything 13+ inches is fine

3. What screen resolution do you want?

doesn't matter too much, i've played on 800x600 for a few years now, would sacrifice this for more performance (if it can work like that)

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

needs to be portable, as in i can move it to other places with the charger and mouse, other than my house.

5. How much battery life do you need?

doesn't matter, i almost always use the charger.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

diablo 3 and guild wars 2 (i know they aren't being released yet, but should be out within the next 12months) on medium to low settings would be fine, as long as i'd get 30+ fps. currently playing league of legends and sc2 , 30+fps on these would be nice too, on medium-low settings.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

none really

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

300+gb? if that isn't asking for too much, this computer i'm on has about 150gb, and i'm running a little short atm, so 200gb+ should be fine as well.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

http://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-K53SV-A1-15-6-Inch-Versatile-Entertainment/dp/B004XI8P2A/ref=sr_1_20?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1313201502&sr=1-20

friend recommended, i'm open to about anywhere that ships to canada and is trustworthy.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

2-3 years, longer the better.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

think DVD ROM would be all i would need.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

heard asus and acer are the best gaming brands for price, but any brand is fine tbh as long as it performs.

13. What country do you live in?

canada

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

wondering about shipping/customs charges maybe if i ship to canada? can anyone maybe clarify this cause it could reduce budget :(

itstheMZez

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
would it be fine in about 3 years time as well? thing is my current laptop is about 3 years old and its running on 3gb on ram, 1gb doesn't seem that big of an upgrade and i know my laptop is very outdated.

also which laptop would you suggest? the i7 quad core with 4gb ram or the i5 dual core with 6gb of ram

No one can't tell you what happens in 3 years so I'm not sure whether 4GB will be fine or not.
But the difference between 4GB and 6GB isn't notable in daily tasks and that's unlikely going to change anytime soon.You also can purchase RAM later on if you needed more than 4GB of RAM
Since SC2(and maybe Diablo3) benefit from quad core CPUs,I recommend the i7/4GB laptop

itstheMZez

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
thanks for the suggestion, just bought the i7/4gb about 10mins before you posted this :D. the laptop has the ability to upgrade to 8gb ram if i ever need it so i took the quad core.