I have this idea... laptop dissection mod... what do you think?

ianstein

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
Ok so...

I have a laptop, hp dv6500, that i got around this time in 2007. It has served me well, handled plenty of multimedia, done some decent CADD work, and tons of web surfing. But I think it is on its last legs. About 2 years ago the CPU/GPU heatsink fan started getting loud, and in the course of the next month it eventually quit. So i did what any Tom's user would do... i ordered a new fan+heatsink off eBay and installed it. boom. all better. Well, now about 2 years later the fan has done the exact same thing again... So i am stuck with a dilemma, Ebay the parts and replace it again, or do something a little more creative. I have just built a new desktop for my primary pc but i don't want to just give up on the laptop... i was wondering if anyone thought it might be feasible to tear the laptop apart and mod it into a small htpc or mini ITX style case.

anyone have any experience in this field?

Solution
Seems like a pretty neat thing to do, problem is, laptop motherboards aren't compatible with standard case stand-off holes, Unless you are going to go to the next level of modding, which actually requires you to physically remodel an ATX case, go with it, figure out where the stand-offs need to be, then just set up holes and stand-offs.

There is still a problem though, since you have ports on both sides of the notebook you are going to have an issue with getting the functionality.

So, what I'd do, I'd get an old, cheap desktop case, nothing nice, just something that has plenty of places to add fans.

For the laptop, follow this dissembly guide until step 18...

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Seems like a pretty neat thing to do, problem is, laptop motherboards aren't compatible with standard case stand-off holes, Unless you are going to go to the next level of modding, which actually requires you to physically remodel an ATX case, go with it, figure out where the stand-offs need to be, then just set up holes and stand-offs.

There is still a problem though, since you have ports on both sides of the notebook you are going to have an issue with getting the functionality.

So, what I'd do, I'd get an old, cheap desktop case, nothing nice, just something that has plenty of places to add fans.

For the laptop, follow this dissembly guide until step 18:
http://www.insidemylaptop.com/disassemble-hp-pavilion-dv6500-dv6600-dv6700-dv6800-notebooks/

Then, by getting something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Coolerguys-Dual-80mm-Cooling-Fans/dp/B002NVC1DS

These will not replace your original laptop fan, they are there to help cool it.

For a replacement laptop fan: http://www.amazon.com/Notebook-Compatible-GC055515VH--B2604-13-V1-F-GN-431448-001/dp/B0059ZPP9M/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1313029912&sr=1-1

Solution

ianstein

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
Thanks for the input!

I totally get that this would be much more complicated than sticking the mainboard in a new case and calling it good and i am fine with that. also, the ports issue is no t a big deal to me. if you look at my laptop all the ports are divided between the right and left sides. All but one of the ports are on the left side of the case, with one usb on the right hand side along with the optical drive and the power plug. The only thing i would want to move away from the right side is the power which is convenient, since the power board and plug are separate from the main board.

One of the biggest hurdles for me is going to be what i decide to do about the heatsink/fan. I saved the old heatsink/fan combo that i removed from the laptop on the first go round and it is really quite a poor design. i feel with a little time on a CNC i could diy something that would cool the components more effectively. Even if i just buy some generic 1" x 1" heatsinks and put tim on them to hold them in place and put some fans aboye the thing i still have to worry about putting some sort of case around the thing.

I think the most helpful thing would be to see an example of someone else doing something similar... hmm

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Yeah... I would suggest an aftermarket [desktop] heatsink.. But, I don't think you will be able to hook it on to the motherboard, let alone power it.

Yeah... I don't know how far you are willing to go to get this thing up and running... but maybe if you invested in water cooling... like the Corsair H50... xD

If you can end up building this "desktop", that would be awesome, I doubt the computer would be a good primary machine for anyone.. But it is pretty neat.

ianstein

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
hmm... well thanks for the input hpfreak. i was hoping for more input and examples of this having been done before. i don't really want to put the time and effort into this mod if it is basically a shot in the dark. I think i am gonna just replace the fan again and maybe hope for another two years of duty from this laptop before i ditch it.

thanks again hpfreak.