Solved! Looking for either a netbook or small laptop for school

eriksmith3000

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
I'm from the us. and im willing to buy from just about anywhere. it seems normally when i buy parts i go with new egg and tiger direct. but whatever is cheapest. I'm needing a laptop for school. id like around 13.3" or smaller. not to worried about the res. i figure most of them will have a decent res. i'll mostly use it for school to take notes and stuff. maybe watching movies and a maybe few games but mostly school work. i play anything from the sims to crysis. i don't expect it to run that though. I already have a plenty fast desktop that i use for all my games. i just need something that would be pretty easy to type on. not one of the really cramped keyboards. also I'll probably get a mouse for it too so im not real worried about the touch pad. id like at least a 200 gig hard drive for it. i don't know much about solid state so im not sure if that would be a value to me or not. i don't want to spend over 450. and less would be better. not to worried about the brand. but id like it to last the 4 years im in college. i was sort of looking at hp's dm1z but im sure you guys know a lot more about whats better or not so any help would be really nice.

Edit*
Thanks for all the help guys but gaming isn't really what im worried about. i have my desktop for that.

Solution
With a $450 budget you definitely will not be able to play Crysis. That will get you a laptop with the older Intel GMA 4500MHD graphics core. That is less than half the performance of their latest graphics core the Intel HD 3000 which is a little more powerful than the desktop version of the Radeon HD 5450.

Forget about a solid state drive since a 128GB SSD will probably be a $200 - $250 option when customizing a laptop from Dell, HP, Lenovo etc.

If you want to buy a laptop that is at least somewhat able to play games then you need to spend $480 for the Acer Aspire AS5750-6636 which comes with a 2nd generation Core i3-2410m CPU with the Intel HD 3000 graphics core. And is the cheapest laptop on Newegg.com (w/ free shipping) which has...
With a $450 budget you definitely will not be able to play Crysis. That will get you a laptop with the older Intel GMA 4500MHD graphics core. That is less than half the performance of their latest graphics core the Intel HD 3000 which is a little more powerful than the desktop version of the Radeon HD 5450.

Forget about a solid state drive since a 128GB SSD will probably be a $200 - $250 option when customizing a laptop from Dell, HP, Lenovo etc.

If you want to buy a laptop that is at least somewhat able to play games then you need to spend $480 for the Acer Aspire AS5750-6636 which comes with a 2nd generation Core i3-2410m CPU with the Intel HD 3000 graphics core. And is the cheapest laptop on Newegg.com (w/ free shipping) which has that graphics core.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215117

You can play Crysis 1 on low settings and get on average between 16 - 25 frames per second. Lower if you are in a large fire fight.

The following Acer Aspire AS5552-7819 is within your budget; $380. The ATI Radeon HD 4250 integrated graphics is better than Intel's GMA 4500MHD, but is not a good as the Intel HD 3000 graphics core that is integrated into Intel 2nd generation Core CPUs like the Core i3-2410m in the other laptop I recommended.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215126

Solution

TRENDING THREADS