Looking at laptops, need advice

DarkTinman

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
So I am in need of buying a better computer. I am a PC gamer and i also DJ. Right now i have one of the worst laptops i have ever used and it just isn't cutting it. With new games (league of legends) i run at 8 FPS with settings turned on VERY LOW. I also make music with FL studios, so i need a good sound driver. With being a DJ i need to have a big hard drive and also have a good processer. I tried using my software (Serato) with 2 of my other computers (a tower and a laptop), they both ended up shutting down on me. One of the WORST things that could happen to any DJ. I would "just buy a mac" because "macs are the best." One, i love PC's and i have grown up with them. Secondly, I know it sounds lame but, i can't run League of Legends, as well as other games, with a Mac. Plus, i personally don't think that Mac's are the best in the world unlike a lot of other people.

Here are two of the computers have I have been looking at. The second one is the one that i am more learning to but if there are any other computers out there like these, or better, i would love to know!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215120

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115990#SnetMark_12

Also, if i were to purchase one of these computers, how recommended is it to get warrenty and such? I know i don't know as much as you guys do about computers and buying them. That's why i am coming for help! Thanks in advance for any help you are able to give!

Azorlorn

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
While those would run LoL fine, the odd thing I found is that neither has a good sound card. You could always buy an external sound card.
Here is another laptop to look at:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246094
For $20 more you get a much better processor but less hard disk space. I think it's worth it. You can connect an external through the eSata port

Personally I don't ever buy extended warranty. The existing one usually lasts a year, and if it breaks beyond that it is usually caused by the user's treatment of the system. Just treat your stuff well and you won't have a problem.

DarkTinman

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
So with the link you gave me i would only be missing 40 GB of space? Also i just went over the specs on the old one again, how come the lenovo says "intergrated sound card" but doesn't specify, and then the acer i was looking at just says "high definition audio support." To me i don't even know what good having high definition audio support would do. And if i have a poor sound card, would that be okay if i am hook into the computer using my Astro Mixamp and headphones? Or does that still affect the performance?

Alright, i was thinking i didn't really want to, and of course. I always respect the things i have, if it's something that helps me bring in money, i am REALLY careful with it lol

Azorlorn

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
The sound cards are nameless because they are generic sound cards, usually integrated in the motherboard. It's the worst you can get as far as sound cards go. Most sound cards are added on in addition to this integrated card.
Where the integrated sound card may be passable for personal use, I wouldn't think it would pass at the much higher volumes and the multitude of speakers I assume you are using.
Your Mixamp is not the same as a sound card. It deals with how sound is distributed from your laptop, not how the laptop creates the sound, at least from what I understand.
I'm sorry to say I do not have much experience with professional sound engineering, so I cannot suggest a sound card for you :(

DarkTinman

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Oh okay. I do however understand what you are saying. The only thing is that where the sound would be going is from the laptop USB to my mixer, then transported out through my mixer. I don't know if that's still distorted. It's a little bit scary though. The only thing that make me not want to look more into the link you showed me is the smaller screen. I really do need that screen to be pretty big (17' or bigger)...

You said i could get an external sound card?