Buying a new Laptop Budget $4000

camelsmaycry

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Hi

1. What is your budget?
$3000-$4000 willing to pay more if necessary

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
around 13inch

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Best thing available

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable

5. How much battery life do you need?
The longer the better (more than 5 hours would be nice)

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Nope its for work only

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Not really

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
I would prefer 500 SSD

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
not really

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3-5 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Bluray writer (External if not available)

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Well its for business so I prefer sony but I am open to any suggestions

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Looks are very important, I want it to be fast, powerful and has a very good battery life, I travel alot so Weight is really important for me , I would love a macbook air but I need a Windows based laptop

Thanx

sidewinderx2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
The new Sony Vaio Z or some of the Lenovo Thinkpad series would be awesome for you. You really dont need $3000-4000 for such a laptop, unless you're talking about Toughbooks.

Alternatively, for the sexy Macbook Air look, you can try the Samsung 9 series. They're not quite as powerful as the new Airs, but they're more sexy looking (IMO).

Sony Z: http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&identifier=S_NB_Z

Lenovo X: http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=2CA04E9CB72741BA7B58B93D594F699C&action=init

Samsung 9: http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/laptops/NP900X3A-A03US

jsrudd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
I've been shopping for 13in laptops for a few months an this is what I've found.

The X220 IPS screen has significant image persistence and ghosting. Get the regular screen if you go this route. I've also read in a lot of reviews that the case has a noticeable amount of give and it gets pretty hot.

The Sony Viao Z is pretty new, but has the added feature of having an external GPU that can be attached via a thunderbolt port. I've also read that the screen is a little wobbly especially considering that you're paying more than $2000.

The Samsung 9 series is supposed to be really great aside from the price. But if you're not paying for it then who cares. This one is the closest to the macbook air in terms of size, but it's also powerful.

4ktv

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011