Solved! ASUS K61IC X1 - Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2 GHz upgrade help

exrec

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
All, i've got a decent laptop I've been messing around with for about 6 months. The HD is a bit slow and the ram could use a bump but overall it's a pretty fast and stable system. Any ideas for upgrades you could offer?

2.53GHz Intel P8700 Core 2 Duo Processor
4GB of DDR2 RAM, 2 slots, 6GB Max
320GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM), DVD Super Multi Drive
16-Inch HD LCD Display, NVidia GT 220M Graphics with 1GB DDR2 VRAM, Wi-Fi 802.11 bgn, 1.3M Webcam
Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) Operating System

Solution
A SSD upgrade will speed up storgage access but won't be a 'game changer' when it comes to performance.
That P8700 C2D is not at all shabby and its well matched with a 7200rpm HDD IMO.

Since a SSD upgrade would 'move' with you over to your next laptop it's not a bad idea, but I'd vote to save the ~$125 or so a decent SSD would cost and use that toward your next laptop.

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Laptop upgrades are generally very expensive and not worth the time, money, or effort.
I think the laptop is pretty decent. If your hard drive is slow, and you are getting let's say... a score below 5.5 in WEI (Windows Experience Index), then defrag it, and use ccleaner to get rid of temps and dead registries.

A SSD upgrade will speed up storgage access but won't be a 'game changer' when it comes to performance.
That P8700 C2D is not at all shabby and its well matched with a 7200rpm HDD IMO.

Since a SSD upgrade would 'move' with you over to your next laptop it's not a bad idea, but I'd vote to save the ~$125 or so a decent SSD would cost and use that toward your next laptop.

Solution

exrec

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Thank you to both of you for the responses. I guess i'd rather save the money at this time. The computer is not slow at all, but i like speed when it comes to gaming.