Solved! Lenovo ideapad y570

plainhiphop

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Hey guys,

I am considering the lenovo ideapad y570 for school (in Canada) with the following specs:

- 15.6 inch screen 1366x768
- i5 2410m
- 6gb ram
- geforce gt 555m 1gb
- 750gb HDD 5400 rpm

I am getting all of this for 749.99 + tax. I will be using this laptop for school related tasks (word processing, surfing) as well as some gaming and occasionally programs such as Photoshop and Dreamweaver. Do you guys think this is a good buy for $750 ($750 is the maximum i'm willing to pay)? Also, i have no experience owning a lenovo nor do i know anyone who owns one. So, how is the durability of this laptop ( i wish to keep it for at least 4 years). I know thinkpads are a much better build but they don't offer the gpu required to play games.

Also, any other laptops suggestions that are priced around $750 are also welcome.

Thanks for all your help.

Solution
I recently ordered the Lenovo IdeaPad Y470; it is currently being shipped to me from China to the US. Yours will also be coming from China.

I bought a Lenovo laptop because of my experience with my IBM ThinkPad T40 laptop which I bought back in 2003; IBM sold their PC / Laptop business to Lenovo around 2006. I actually still use it when I don't feel like powering up my desktop. ThinkPads are more or less bulletproof... well except the battery which no longer provides 5 hours on a single charge. But hey, the ThinkPad is 8 years old.

I don't expect the IdeaPad to last as long as my ThinkPad especially since ThinkPads are business class laptops that are designed to take punishment. But I hope I can get 4 - 5 years before it dies. I...
I recently ordered the Lenovo IdeaPad Y470; it is currently being shipped to me from China to the US. Yours will also be coming from China.

I bought a Lenovo laptop because of my experience with my IBM ThinkPad T40 laptop which I bought back in 2003; IBM sold their PC / Laptop business to Lenovo around 2006. I actually still use it when I don't feel like powering up my desktop. ThinkPads are more or less bulletproof... well except the battery which no longer provides 5 hours on a single charge. But hey, the ThinkPad is 8 years old.

I don't expect the IdeaPad to last as long as my ThinkPad especially since ThinkPads are business class laptops that are designed to take punishment. But I hope I can get 4 - 5 years before it dies. I actually expect my ThinkPad to live longer (i.e. no hardware failure) than my hopefully soon to arrive IdeaPad Y470.

Solution

sidewinderx2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
For general word processing and most gaming needs, that laptop would be awesome. The only warning i would give you is that dont expect it to have very good battery life. If you are going to be using it for more than 3 hours, i would recommend bringing the power supply with you.

Like Jaguar said, Lenovo is one of the most reliable brands, as they took over IBM's laptop division, which made some of the best business class laptops... and then they made the old IBMs not fugly anymore, for which i can't thank them enough :p

As for lasting 4 years... well, you'll be able to run MS Office, and probably current version of photoshop on it for that long im sure, but dont expect to play games on anything higher than med/low for games that come out in 2+ years :/ Such is the life of a laptop...

PS: Psh... Who uses Dreamweaver? Notepad++ ftw! ;P