Trouble Upgrading RAM in my Laptop

betacase

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
Hi Everyone!

I have a Lenovo U330 (2267-2CU) Latptop with a P8600 CPU, 4gb of DDR3 RAM, and the intel GM45 chipset.
Windows 7 Home x64

I recently bought a 8gb (2x 4gb) DDR3 PC8500 upgrade kit (I checked on all the websites to make sure it was compatible). So I followed the correct procedure and put in the sticks and my laptop didn't start. I tried each stick independently and they worked, and I even got my system running with one old and one new stick (6gb ram total). Yet, still no luck with 8gb.

I looked up the specs of the chipset (GM45) and intel says it supports up to 8gb of ram and all the RAM websites says it does (crucial, kingston, corsair, etc..)

My BIOS is up to date.

So my question is, does anyone think there is a way for my laptop to get 8gb of ram to run? Any advice on how to solve this problem?

Thanks,
Beta

jsrudd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Sounds like faulty RAM to me.

Try each stick one at a time and see if it boots. If it doesn't boot that stick of RAMs the problem.

You can also try running memtest to check each stick individually.

betacase

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
I tried each stick individually and they both worked (alone), also I tried each new stick with one old stick for a total of 6gb. The only combination that didn't work was the two 4gb sticks.

betacase

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
So I've been looking around the net a lot, and it seems my Chipset, cpu, os and motherboard all are capable of handling 8gbs of ram. The only thing stopping me is the BIOS.

Does anyone know if it is possible to safely increase the memory allowed from 6 gbs to 8gbs without damaging the system? If so, how does one go about doing this?

Thanks for reading!
-Beta