Solved! Another 'Which laptop' questionaire!

Someguitarist

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Hi,

I built my own desktop (a long, long while ago) and it's far past time for an upgrade. However, now, I mostly spend my time playing games at friend's houses, for which a laptop would be much better. I know they're more expensive, with less performance, but lets see what you all could recommend for me!!

1. What is your budget?
~1000$ Could be a bit higher, could be a bit lower. Also, I don't mind doing 'Open Box' deals, or anything like that.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
At least 15 inches!

3. What screen resolution do you want?
No real preference.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Desktop replacement-ish

5. How much battery life do you need?
I end up flying around a lot, so the more battery the merrier. Of course, I know that that gets costly, and gaming laptops generally don't have great battery time, but definetley the more the merrier.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes. I'd like to get away with playing the Witcher 2. That might be asking a lot. Hopefully on medium at least.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
None.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
I have external USB's. This isn't too much of an issue.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Any. Again, was looking at NewEggs 'Open Box' shinanigins, but they're about all sold out. Does anyone know when new Open Box's come up??

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
At least a few years!

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
No preference.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
No preference

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Again, don't mind cheap-ey sleazy sounding deals. I was looking at this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152266R with no idea how well it would actually run stuff. Unfortunatly someone jumped earlier than I did! Any idea when these Open Box's get updated??

Thanks for the help!

Solution
I don't believe that MSI open box qualifies for the free Xbox program.

One option that I know would qualify - a Dell or HP laptop, or a laptop from the MS store.
I think you could also qualify for 10% off. http://www.facebook.com/Windows

Here is an option I like that qualifies for the XBox: Dell XPS 15 15.6-inch "Sandy Bridge" Laptop w/Core i5 $644
Core i5-2410M 2.3GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD and 1GB GeForce GT 525M. Upgrade to the Geforce GT 540M for $100 more.

Someguitarist

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Also- I am a college student, does that computer above qualify for the free Xbox deal?? I believe it's ANY computer with Windows 7, right?? I was thinking I could Craigslist the xbox for 150 bucks or so and save a little bit...

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
You don't have a lot of criteria, but this doesn't look too bad. You might want to check out the A53 series too, which seems to kind of just be the k53 re-series'd. Some pretty good deals.

Also, look up 15" laptops at xoticpc.com. Lots of options there with probably something close to what you are looking for.

I don't believe that MSI open box qualifies for the free Xbox program.

One option that I know would qualify - a Dell or HP laptop, or a laptop from the MS store.
I think you could also qualify for 10% off. http://www.facebook.com/Windows

Here is an option I like that qualifies for the XBox: Dell XPS 15 15.6-inch "Sandy Bridge" Laptop w/Core i5 $644
Core i5-2410M 2.3GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD and 1GB GeForce GT 525M. Upgrade to the Geforce GT 540M for $100 more.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS