Solved! Pressing certain Keys displays 2 letters

Tmcdon05

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
I have a Toughbook that when you press the "V" key, it types out "VG", and pressing the "M" key displays "MJ", etc. The motherboard and keyboard have been changed so I am at an absolute loss as to what could be causing this. (It was doing this BEFORE the MB & KB change and continued afterwards - the MB was replaced due to a defective USB port and the KB because of this problem). It only happens on certain keys but ALWAYS does it on those keys, and the "double keys" are always right next to each other. I know the underlying structure ties certain banks of keys together, i.e. if the "F" key stops working, and it is the "bank" that contains the signal for the "D" key, the "D" key can also stop working (if it is an "underlying problem and not just the "F" key itself, I mean), so I think it has something to do with that, but since it continued to happen after the KB change, I'm baffled! Has anybody seen this before? Just grabbing at straws here! Thanks.

Solution
Thanks for looking but I found the problem. The short flat ribbon connector from the motherboard to the keyboard controller (not the cable from the keyboard to the controller) had some bad pins. I cut the very end off with a pair of sharp scissors and plugged it back in and it stopped the problem! Don't know when that was ever unplugged but obviously it had been at some time. Thanks again.

Tmcdon05

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Thanks for looking but I found the problem. The short flat ribbon connector from the motherboard to the keyboard controller (not the cable from the keyboard to the controller) had some bad pins. I cut the very end off with a pair of sharp scissors and plugged it back in and it stopped the problem! Don't know when that was ever unplugged but obviously it had been at some time. Thanks again.

Solution