Solved! Which laptop is the best deal

leonee

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
1. What is your budget?
700-800
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15+
3. What screen resolution do you want?
idc
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
idc
5. How much battery life do you need?
idc
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
yes want to be able to play games like battle field 3 on at least medium

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
school work/
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500 gig
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
4 years
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
dont care
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
idc
13. What country do you live in?
usa
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Hey so I am looking at these two laptops. both are hp dv6
first one is a custom build from hp.com. It has a
cpu core I7 2.0ghz
gpu either a hd 6490 or for 25$ more hd 6770. They also have a 2gb version of the 6770 for 100 more. Seems like the 2gb is a ripoff, or is it two video cards?
6gig of ram
750gb hdd
and blueray player
total price with tax 800 thats with the 1 gb version of 6770

the other laptop is similar specs.
Its the VISION A8 3500M with just the integrated card.
everything else is the same price is 725.From amazon so no tax. It also comes with dirt3, but i Would sell it.

So which one is the better deal? It looks like the one with i7, but really looking more into gamming. It seems like even with the hd 6770 I wont really be able to play games on max. Was looking at .notebookcheck.net and the 6770 gets 17 fps on max in dirt3 while the gpu in the amd 6620 gets 13 fps on max, which clearly is not playable on either card. On high the 6770 gets 46 and the 6620 30. I really don't care that the 6670 gets 46 fps casue 30 fps is good enough for me. I am not going to be doing photoshop so dont really care about cpu that much.

So what do you guys think? Price diff from the 2 is like 100( going to sell the dirt3)

Solution
Logicbuy customize your laptop. I don't think you should get the 2gb 6770 I think 1gb is good enough. I saw someone on youtube playing DiRT3 with a llano laptop and it works just fine. If you don't need the CPU processing power than llano is the way to go to save some extra bucks :)

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Logicbuy customize your laptop. I don't think you should get the 2gb 6770 I think 1gb is good enough. I saw someone on youtube playing DiRT3 with a llano laptop and it works just fine. If you don't need the CPU processing power than llano is the way to go to save some extra bucks :)

Solution

leonee

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
thanks for the info, I might get the i5 its like $40 cheaper than i7 what do you guys think? I think the gpu be the bottle neck far before the cpu in gaming.
I might be doing some programming like matlab and other engineering stuff