After installing windows xp pro sp3 on my sata drive via desktop pc, why does my

jd206

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
Hello, I've just installed windows xp pro sp3 on my sata 320gig HD that came out of my gateway nv notebook via my desktop pc because the installation will not work with the HD connected to the notebook even if I change the switch in the bios to IDE, After installing the HD back in the notebook with the "new" operating system and boot up, I get the blue screen error message "your computer may have a virus your computer has been locked down to prevent damage." I would like to know how can I by-pass this?

Any help would be greatfull!!

Thanks!

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
When you are installing to the notebook are you installing XP with Service Pack 3 already slip streamed to the installation disk or do you install Service Pack 3 later? If your install disk is pre service pack 2 then it may not be able to deal with the laptops hardware. See if there is a specific driver the laptop needs you to include in the install. You have to hit F6 during the initial setup to make the option to install a driver work. Even though the option to install a driver anyway comes up without the F6 it wont load the driver. You have to hit F6 at the start of the install process. I normally key F6 a few times to make sure the window for F6 to work is not missed.