Solved! Acer Aspire 5750G having fps issues

FreedomFighter

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
I recently bought an Aspire 5750G-9463. Other people have said they can run games like Assassin's Creed Brotherhood or Crysis on high settings with no FPS lag, while when I try to play the Sims 3 my fps never goes above 25. When I try to play Magicka, I also have issues. A few older games (Amnesia, CoD4) didn't seem to have any fps issues while I was playing.

Exact system specs so you don't have to look it up:
i7 2630QM 2GHz w/ TurboBoost up to 2.9GHz
GeForce GT 540M, Up to 2741 MB TurboCache
4GB DDR3 Memory

I have updated the graphics drivers, and I'm not sure where to go from there. I think it switches from an integrated graphics card to the 540M, but I also think it does this automatically, so I don't think this is the issue.

So my question is, what else can I do to increase performance?

Solution
to increase performance you need to make sure your computer is using the 540 for those games and it's not cutting down the power to it (as bamfboy described)

if that isn't the issue then you can try decreasing the resolution

bamfboy115

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
The problem is probably with power. Go to the battery icon in the bottom right click on it and then click on more power options. Click more power plans and then go to high performance. It will drain your battery faster but you will be able to play high powered games. Also go to Nvidia control panel and click management 3d settings and set it to automatic. Auto select.

AntiZig

Distinguished
to increase performance you need to make sure your computer is using the 540 for those games and it's not cutting down the power to it (as bamfboy described)

if that isn't the issue then you can try decreasing the resolution

Solution