Toshiba Satellite L305D laptop - screen wont go on

lmullane

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
When I boot up my laptop, the power goes on and I hear it turn on, but nothing shows on the monitor.

What is wrong? I've rebooted several times.

Solution
Get a 2.5" HDD enclosure, take the hard drive out of your laptop and put it into the enclosure, it will work like an external hard drive. I did it, worked fine for me :)

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
It is most likely the screen. You can try reseting the BIOS and see if that helps.
Turn off the laptop, take out the battery, unplug the AC Adapter, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Plug in the AC Adapter, turn it on once more, see if that helps... I'd make a backup of your files if your lucky enough to get into it.
You can always try taking the drive out and using it in another laptop (as a slave) or as an external drive. I do that for both desktop hard drives and laptop hard drives.. works great.

lmullane

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
oy! okay, i will try the battery and adapter combo you suggested. I dont think I will be able to make a backup of my files since I cant see anything on the screen.

I have a feeling my screen is fried. If this is the case, I think it will cost too much for the value (lack thereof) of the computer. I will probably have to go to Best Buy and get another computer. However, I have my files and such on my hard drive!

lmullane

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
quick weird update: yesterday for no reason, it turned on and the monitor came on and it worked great. luckily i was able to grab a lot of the stuff i wanted off my desktop.

Today? same deal - monitor not working when machine turns on. This is weird!!!!