Need reliable high end laptop

obtik

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
Just Bought a Gx660r MSI, honestly been having nothing but hardware issues with it. Need a reliable computer for school,work, gaming, business. Right now all im getting is bsod's randomly, sent it in already... didn't do ***, took a month just for that, and now have to resend it back it. honestly lost all confidence in this laptop, I cant risk having it crash on me in the middle of trading stocks, or anything i do... i dont wanna hate on MSI, it is a tight computer.

Looked through the forums, looks like alot of the questions on great or best laptops are either out of date, or imo to low in price for performance. Not to mention certain things im looking for, never had luck with dell, usually stuck with Sony and customizing my desktops.

Kinda rushing this thread, typical of laptop to crash when im doing something important. losing money as is not having a reliable computer. personally like to stick to Nvidia cards, and able to have wide excess to bio's for OC'ing. looks laptops are becoming more and more easier to change and custom your hardware. really appreciate any and all opinions, price range is up in the 3k's id even go higher. just at that point i find most to just be over priced and to new to be known for its reliability.

Thank you guys(sorry for any typo's, in class right now)

obtik

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
1. What is your budget? 4k, would be my max

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? lol something to fit in my backpack, like i looked at the asus 73, and it was a pig wont lie.

3. What screen resolution do you want? best I can get

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? portability is huge, so only laptops.

5. How much battery life do you need? honestly with what im asking for, it doesnt matter. its gonna be poor regardless.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? yes, all top games. crysis, battlefields, MW/COD, usually play anything

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? Trading stocks, Charting/graphing, streaming lots of live charts, movies, basically anything and everything.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? I usually never store anything on my computer all important stuff on disk or flash. never trust Microsoft, plus i like raid 0. just enough to handle modern programs. unless its linux, i wipe my hard drives alot.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Im open, i can read all the reviews in the world, but to me personally opinions or much more valuable then salesmen.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? just to hold technology a year or 2, if not more. theres always internal unpgrades

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? wanna go with blue ray, much smaller laser. lol feel a little more confident even with dvd.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Im very open, personally like nvidia cards though for there support. cant say im a fan of Dell, stuck with sony alot, but sony doesnt like your tweaking with there stuff imo.

13. What country do you live in? USA, wisconsin

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. just something that i can do anything with decently. i know it wont be near the capability of a desktop.

obtik

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
1. What is your budget? 4k, would be my max

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? lol something to fit in my backpack, like i looked at the asus 73, and it was a pig wont lie.

3. What screen resolution do you want? best I can get

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? portability is huge, so only laptops.

5. How much battery life do you need? honestly with what im asking for, it doesnt matter. its gonna be poor regardless.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? yes, all top games. crysis, battlefields, MW/COD, usually play anything

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? Trading stocks, Charting/graphing, streaming lots of live charts, movies, basically anything and everything.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? I usually never store anything on my computer all important stuff on disk or flash. never trust Microsoft, plus i like raid 0. just enough to handle modern programs. unless its linux, i wipe my hard drives alot.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Im open, i can read all the reviews in the world, but to me personally opinions or much more valuable then salesmen.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? just to hold technology a year or 2, if not more. theres always internal unpgrades

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? wanna go with blue ray, much smaller laser. lol feel a little more confident even with dvd.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Im very open, personally like nvidia cards though for there support. cant say im a fan of Dell, stuck with sony alot, but sony doesnt like your tweaking with there stuff imo.

13. What country do you live in? USA, wisconsin

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. just something that i can do anything with decently. i know it wont be near the capability of a desktop.

obtik

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
Been definitely considering AW, the only thing is the dell part of them. I've always had bad luck with dell, but i never had anything AW. dual cards definitely help if i tried running monitors off it to for charts. Wanna keep open to most. AW def has best rep, but is most OP'd. research reviews on it, thank you

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I really like my Dell Inspiron E6500. I'm using it now.

If you want a reliable machine I would suggest that a business class Dell would be a good choice. Also a business class Lenovo or a Sony.

But any of them can fail, so keep backups and hope for the best.

ik242

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I've been using Dell for years and it is solid...
but... don't go for consumer crap (regardless of company, individual consumers don't get much respect but any company will do everything they can to get business contracts etc. and - it shows!!!). if you ask me pick some sexy workstation and customize it to get performance you need.

TRENDING THREADS