Facebook: We Do a ''Reasonable Job'' on Privacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkfloydminnesota

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
People who complain about Facebook's privacy settings and continue to use it are just like people who complain about kids peeing in the city pool and continue to swim in it.

Facebook will always violate your privacy, kids will always pee in the city pool, and if you use free services you should expect to get some urine on your body.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]pinkfloydminnesota[/nom]People who complain about Facebook's privacy settings and continue to use it are just like people who complain about kids peeing in the city pool and continue to swim in it.Facebook will always violate your privacy, kids will always pee in the city pool, and if you use free services you should expect to get some urine on your body.[/citation]
Yup. Those people are hypocrites.

afforess

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Because doing an "average" job always yields positive results... Right. You can fool some of the people all of the time or all of the people some of the time...

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
People refuse to stop using their services, even with their horrible privacy. They've slightly bettered their policies, so those people have no reason to stop.

I use FB, but I have very little information on it. If people would stop putting every detail pertaining to their lives out in the open on the web, they would have a lot less reason to complain.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]pinkfloydminnesota[/nom]People who complain about Facebook's privacy settings and continue to use it are just like people who complain about kids peeing in the city pool and continue to swim in it.Facebook will always violate your privacy, kids will always pee in the city pool, and if you use free services you should expect to get some urine on your body.[/citation]
Two things:

1) Pools aren't free, at least not where I live.
2) I don't use Facebook (because of the privacy issues) and I end up missing out on a lot of things because of it. I feel that gives me the right to complain.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
I'm going out on the limb here and say that if your Obsessed with your own narcism and vanity, then you should have no right to privacy.

What i'm conveying is people who post every little detail about their personal lives on the web,(going on a 7day vacation, left door unlocked) post their address, work, school, home phone#, personal email, work email, into a searchable public database. Add every stranger as a "friend", post pictures of yourself doing stupid things on the internet and tag it "Me Getting so stoned off my balls" and post it as your "status update / profile pic" THEN OF COURSE YOU HAVE NO PRIVACY!!

its like geeze.. and everyone is scared that the government is violating privacy when in fact anybody with google can get your name, birthday, SS# because you willingly posted them online.

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Really should be more along the lines of "exceptional".
Either way, doesn't stop me from using facebook and my iPhone, my two main hubs for communication.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]kingssman[/nom]I'm going out on the limb here and say that if your Obsessed with your own narcism and vanity, then you should have no right to privacy.What i'm conveying is people who post every little detail about their personal lives on the web,(going on a 7day vacation, left door unlocked) post their address, work, school, home phone#, personal email, work email, into a searchable public database. Add every stranger as a "friend", post pictures of yourself doing stupid things on the internet and tag it "Me Getting so stoned off my balls" and post it as your "status update / profile pic" THEN OF COURSE YOU HAVE NO PRIVACY!!its like geeze.. and everyone is scared that the government is violating privacy when in fact anybody with google can get your name, birthday, SS# because you willingly posted them online.[/citation]
The reason I'm not on facebook is more for what other people post about me / link to me. I don't want all those photos of me showing up linked to my profile. I tell my friends not to upload any photo with me in it, but they always do, even my gf does. I worked in the IT sector and I want my personal life hidden from my employers / potential employers.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
It's like Hot Coffee is...yeah, you guessed it. Hot! Don't spill it on yourself. Like mama always said, "Be careful, don't burn." Listen to mama. It's also like trusting a computer to give you accurate directions. Carry a damn Thomas Guide with you. If you're concerned about Facebook Privacy, well, maybe you shouldn't be on Facebook. If it's your way of communicating with your friend, well, delete your account, make a new one with NO profile information, add your friends and DON'T POST. No one is forcing you to "Share" thoughts w/ your friends on Facebook. It's your own damn fault.

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Hum, if every sucker who complains would close their account facebook would die in a heartbeat.
I did it, its not a big deal, the problem is some people live for facebook lol, sad.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
If you don't use FB you have no right to complain about it. To say you do makes no sense. Not to mention IT'S FREE!, and not mandatory to have for everyday living. Bitching about something that's free you people should've had your ass whipped more as kids.

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
I'm not advocating people leaving their phone numbers or addresses out in the open on public profiles, but Facebook does leave a lot to be desired when it comes to privacy. If you don't want a profile that's basically naked, you're going to end up with some stuff in it that will turn into hot buttons for advertisers to push. Examples: Favorite bands, movies, books, hobbies, etc...

Better privacy controls, and better user judgment put together should be able to solve the problem without leaving gaping loopholes open. Instead, they share anything and everything we might just happen to post about ourselves, even the basic stuff.

When diligent users and "improved" privacy controls are still resulting in abuse, then there's a problem.

randomizer

Distinguished

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]duckmanx88[/nom]and BP is great at oil drilling. -__-[/citation]
They are... haven't you seen all of that oil in the Gulf of Mexico? I think the problem is that they are not very good at oil collecting.

Oh, and I hope we aren't "dumb f***s" for believing him.

littlec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Yeah it's stupid to use FB and then complain about it's security problems. BUT, most people just use FB now. There are not many other options right now as far as having all your friends on some sort of social media. I think they (FB) should be more responsible when securing their services. However, you won't find me complaining about it if my account gets hacked, I've been aware of the security issues and keep a lookout. I also make weekly backups of my page in case the worst happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.