Hard drive configuration is not set to the factory default. Restore ab

kaatskill

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
I have a Acer Aspire laptop about 5 months old and am trying to restore it to the original factory settings,but when I try to restore it a window pops up and says "Hard drive configuration is not set to the factory default. Restore aborted". I have the discs for restoring but they do not load. Everything appears to be working but I have to much junk picked up on the web I want to clean out. I have saved everything on an external hard drive. I called Acer and they were a waste,hard to understand them (India?) They wanted to sell me a new start-up disc or have me send it to them as it is still under warranty but I think with the proper knowledge it should be able to be fixed just knowing how to set the c drive to the default setting. HELP Robert.

G

This topic has been moved from the section Forum Feedback to section Laptops & Notebooks by Grumpy9117

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
The way to clean your junk usualy is not by doing factory restoration. Usualy you just delete the junk. So - why you don't do just that?

kaatskill

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011

Thank you for you help,but my problem is two fold. (1) My hard drive (c) is not reading my factory restore disc's (reads everything else,DVDs,Cd's) and (2) I would remove the JUNK if I knew which was junk and something that needs to stay on my PC when I go into my UNINSTAL,much is shown as letters and numbers. I have backed up my PC onto a separate external (f) drive called click-free,I will restore one item at a time when and if I can get my PC to go back to the original FACTORY SETTINGS,or delete the item so as not to put everything back on that I do not need,want or is garbage that was put there from these web sites when I had visited them either through my email or however I got them. You probably know how that is. Acer will not let me use their techs without charging as a fee base (that sucks when it is under warranty,4 months old) or will send out new factory disc's for a charge of $19.99, which they are not sure if that will work, or mail the whole laptop back and I have to pay shipping and probably won't see it back again for a month or two. Any ideas would be immensely appreciated. I do need my laptop because I use eBay a lot and would be lost without it. I am retired and supplement my income with ebay. I only give this info. because to let everyone know that I can't have my PC away for two months as most PC owners would agree. Thanks again,Robert.

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Now you are talking
Your HDD can not read anything, it's not a CD/DVD reading device. Your CD reader is not reading them, while still reading anithing else, meaning - these disks are dead.
To uninstall software usualy you use the install/uninstall service of windows, and you don't mess with system folders, unless you very well know what are you doing.
But if by uninstall you mean this interface and you have unrecognisable letters and numbers there, you probably realy need a clean instalation. And if your disks are dead it's not the end of the world. You just need a disk with the OS you'd like to install and bootable and all the drivers you need for your periphery - videocard, wi-fi are usual, and you'd better get these from the sites of the manufacturers of the devices before starting reinstallation...

kaatskill

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
I will order the new disc's from Acer. By the way someone mentioned the JUMPERS as to what might be the problem. The girl at Acer mentioned it as well and was sending me instructions on to how to take out the HD and reset the jumper wire. Have you ever heard of that before? Thanks,Robert.

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Jumpers for what? Reading CDs? No.
And install an antivirus and firewall before you get crawled over by worms next time :)

dnicks

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
robert, i really can't help you on this but i just wanted to say ignore pepe2907. this person is obviously an idiot that can't even understand what the problem is, let alone help anyone.

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010

UU, thank you for that!
As I see you understood and found a solution for the problem :)

And excuse me, but how do you understand this sentence "Thank you for you help,but my problem is two fold. (1) My hard drive (c) is not reading my factory restore disc's (reads everything else,DVDs,Cd's)" ??? I really cant. A harddrive reading CD's? Really?

kaatskill

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
Maybe I used the wrong wording,sometimes it is hard to convey the proper meaning when you are not a PROFESSIONAL in the Tech. world and tend to let the mouth run faster then the brain,ha ha. My C drive is not being recognized by my FACTORY RESTORE DISC. (I suspect I received it this way) when inserted into my "D" drive to try to restore my PC back to the original FACTORY SETTINGS as it was when I received it. I was told that I would possibly be able to correct the problem by going into my PC and undoing the jumpers (resetting them back to what the factory setting numbers, and are on the jumper chip or what ever it is called) and that the numbers/letters should be right there to be able to reset them back to "0" then the C drive would then be recognized. Hey guys, I am not a computer whiz but I do have some common sense about this and learn quickly and appreciate all the help I have been getting I also think that other people that might run up against this will have some helpful positive info. by reading this. Anyway,when I repair this problem I will let all know. By the way Acer support told me this as well and one support agent did not think that sending out new a new disc would help as the new disc would not be able to be read as well. (did I say that right?) Tomorrow I will open up the laptop and look for my HD jumpers and try to reset them back and if I cannot locate them or if that dose not work then off to the factory and probably have to wait for the return :(1 month I hope not more :( Thanks again,Robert.

mbabs1966

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Maybe you can help me. I have an intel pentium dell computer. The screen went black so my sister uploaded another disc with windows 7 on it. Now the computer is full and will not do anything. I have been trying to figure out how to restore to the factory default. Nothing has worked. I tried using f8 and following the instructions, but nothing. The computer came with a hard drive set up with the default settings that required no cd. Help!

Barbara

TRENDING THREADS