HP Pavilion DV6 6011tx heats up-to 57C when idle and rises up-to 90C!

EApubs

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
Hi... I have an HP Pavilion DV6 6011tx laptop.. (with a core i7 cpu and 6GB ram).. When im using the laptop for browing, the temperatures rise upto 55 to 60 C! (Even with a cooling pad)... Yesterday, i tried to render a video with adobe premier... Then, temperatures rose upto 98C! But the laptop kept working....

Yesterday when i asked the HP support, they said that the normal temperature of a laptop should be between 30 to 40C... They asked me to contact a technician... The technicians at the shop where i bought this machine told me that 50 to 60C is normal!

Now i just want to know who is correct? Am i in a danger? Does my laptop have a heating problem? Or is it normal?

pringlegod

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Hey, i have a HP Pavilion DV6000 and i had the same problem, heres a few things what to do...

1) See your battery meter at the bottom right of your screen, right click it and view 'power options', Now, select the HP reccomended settings (Or if you REALLY want to strain your PC select high performance) then click change plan settings, Then click advanced power settings. This is where all the good stuff happens to make your power plan do its deeds, scroll down to 'Processor power management' and click the + button, now you want to lower your minimum and maximum processor state by 5 or 10 percent, you shouldn't feel much difference but it cools your laptop down quite a bit ( or it did in my case )

2) Dim your screen a little in power options, turn it down to 3/4 of its maximum brightness, its not an instant cool down but it will eventuly knock a degree or two off

3) ok, this one is a little extreme and i reccomend buying a pressurised can of air instead but if your on a really low budget... Grab a hoover and hoover out any dust from the vent where your fan is located, BE VERY CAREFUL!! highly unreccomended by Hp and most other companys but when i do it every few months i get a good lump of dust flying out of the vent, this cools down my laptop LOADS, by loads i mean from 87 degrees playing minecraft to about 50, but be very careful, im not taking responsibility for you sucking every microchip out of your laptop

4) Kill any unessecary background programs. Your internet security antivirus running when your not connected to the internet? your printer spooler running when you dont even own a printer?? Alt+Ctrl+del, this brings up task manager, you want to kill some services and processes but BE WARNED, dont blindly kill everything you see! this will most likely crash your computer

5) go to your local electronics store, see if they have any really cheap laptop stands that have good air circulation, if you cant afford any or dont want to spend much money i reccomend buying a few erasers (or rubbers depending if your british or not ) and stacking them under the corners of your PC

If non of these fix your laptop overheating problem contact me, il be sure to try and help with a few more methods, its just my fingers are hurting from typing HAYO!

maxwellmelon

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
add to pringlegod

6. hp coolsense settings set to increase fan over being quiet
7. if its older two years or so, hp used cheap thermal paste to the heat sink may have to disassemble and redo it with a good thermal paste.

(guides found by searching internet for it, not that hard but is time consuming to do it without rushing) had to do on my hpdv6(amd a8 model with dedicate graphics crossfire which adds heat due to both heat pipes cooled by that single fan(one for cpu one for gpu in middle of laptop) laptop was clean never had dust built up but went from 40c to 65c at idle over the two years I had it) now I run no higher then 70 under full load.

Reddwarf4ever

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013

Hi
I have a HP dv 6700, not sure how old it is, but already throttled CPU in advanced power options to 60% and CPU running around 40-45oC and GPU 50-55oC.....never been blown out, not sure if should blow with can of air or strip down and reseat CPU & GPU....is the Therml pste on my model likely to be bad / poor also ?
Thanks

Technophobe Geoff

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016
Pringlegod, thank you.
I realise that this thread is pretty old and that you might never see this, but, thanks anyway
I have been working with PCs since DOS days, but I had never found the CPU 'Processor Power Management' control in Advanced Power Options. (Hides face in shame).
Both the HP Pavilion dv7-3105ea and the Envy 17-1190ea that I have been using for some while have suffered from overheating, from when they were a few months old.
As many geeks will be aware, the fan blades are almost inaccessible, other than a near-full rebuild - so that particular, 'normal' route is out, (thanks, HP. Brilliant machines, but...).
Pulling back the CPUs to 85% IMMEDIATELY dropped temperatures to around 75 - 80°C - OK, still hot but not the 90°C+ I had been getting during downloads of virus definition updates, for instance.
Hoorah.

Anonymous09

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2015
I know I'm a few weeks late to this thread, but I can echo the sentiments about this particular line. I recently got my hands on one of these to repair, and jesus did HP drop the ball on QC for this one! Right off the bat, I notice the idle temps to be 70-75C, the dam thing was burning my hand. I resolve to open it up and see what is the issue. It turns out, much like others have said, hp used cruddy thermal paste on these laptops, not only that but the CPU and GPUs were all absolutely drowning in a mucky mess. Whoever assembled this used an entire syringe of this crud for eveything. After reapplying it, the idle temp shoots down 20C, still not great though. It does appear though that the lowest I can get this thing to idle at is 50C, which is absolutely terrible! Unfortunately though, it's the best youre gonna get with these crappy things, and the only fix is to indeed tear it down and put some new paste on.

An aside, during the dissasembly, remove the screen screws LAST, the ditsy engineers who designed the casing put a flimsy plastic mold to hold the screw mount for the hinges. If you remove the screws before the screen is opened, the hinges will snap that mold apart. I had to whip out my trusty jb weld to repair what was left. It appears to be holding stronger than before ironically!

Also, depending on what year your model is, the power cord could potentially be on a recall list. HP marked mine as such and they are mailing me a new one right now. Check out their power cord replacement program to input the serial for your power adapter and see if youre in for a new cord. Luckily enough it seems to have lasted this long without incident, but you might as well take a free replacment with little to no hassle with forms.