Viacom-Google Case Now Hollywood vs. Internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpace

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
I wonder who will win if we judge them by how much each has contributed to the world. Faster and easier access to information, both true and false, or creation of entertainment, half of which misleads people.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Ok, now let's sue viacom and others because their use of illegal practices that gives them 90% of the profit and only 10% (or less) for the artists..

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
I guess, as user of both You Tube and these moron media moguls who are not happy with the billions they rake in every year off of guys like me. I would have to say to VIACOM and its supports. "WTF have you done for me lately" Commercial free and there whenever I want it. Instead of trying to stop youtube why dont you cowboy up and find a way to make money off it like everyone else.

princeofdreams

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
The best weapon google & the others have is to completely ban any of the said Hollywood set from advertising with them or any of their related sites, nearly all media advertising is done over the web, cut that off from them and they will be in real trouble,

What viacom and all the others forget is how much they rely on the internet, if google, facebook and yahoo veto all off their products, not allowing any photos, stories, adverts, clips features anything, these companies will suffer big time

dmk2000

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Well, if Viacom wins, I see a lot of profit loss by Hollywood due to viewers refusing pay to movies studios, increase of piracy too.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Now this sounds like a interesting case.
Viacom could burn through all I care though. I don't have cable, and I only go and see a movie once a month.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Google is not protected under the DMCA
I thought almost everything stored on google's servers is user created content. and as far as I know DMCA also contains a part where it says that Service providers are not responsible for content created by users.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I haven't hear the name VIACOM for quite some time. They must be in some financial trouble to bring up this rediculous lawsuit.

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
yeah but these a-holes have no problem posting their trailers up for free advertisement. you think i dont see the 500 princess and the frog trailers you left up there disney? how about the dozens of Office lips nbc? yeah you like that FREE promotion don't you. what about you viacom? i bet you love seeing the trailers for icarly up there. all that free promotion for nickeleoden sure is nice. fuck viacom. i would understand if it was a website purposely posting your vids. but it was individual users in the early days of youtube.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]milktea[/nom]I haven't hear the name VIACOM for quite some time. They must be in some financial trouble to bring up this rediculous lawsuit.[/citation]
They own quite a bit of stuff you hear of regularly. I doubt they are in financial trouble.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
lol no way Viacom wins. They are just wasting their money. First Google's main business is not Youtube. They did not build a business from pirating videos. Second is Google bought Youtube after it started using stricter intellectual property protection measures.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
As long as Youtube removes content at the request of the owner, I don't see how they can be liable.

@falchard, when you buy a company, you become fiscally responsible for their prior actions.

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
Although Google is becoming more of an a-hole by putting ads and crap all around the place Viacom are just a bunch of @$$es and trolls. So go Google! Get the TNT and to Viacom HQ we go (joking)!

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
I have been boycotting Hollywood,RIAA,MPAA,etc for a year now.I am fighting back against these big companies by myself.I refuse to go to a theater, nor will I buy anything NEW but I do buy what I need used.I may have to wait a week or two after street date but that is OK as I get what I want and the greedbags get no money from my sale.
BAN NEW GREEDBAG PRODUCTS FROM YOUR HOME !!!
BUY USED !!!

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
[citation][nom]bobusboy[/nom]i dont use youtube any more; the service blows becuase of all the ads.[/citation]

There's hardly any ads. Tom's Hardware has 5x the ads (not saying that's bad, just pointing it out), and even has full page ads that you have to A) Wait for it to go away, or B) Click "Skip Ad". All this, and Youtube's 2 ads per page still bothers you?

Status
Not open for further replies.