Do you have problems with Nvidia Optimus & choice of two ?

exscouse

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
I`ve checked specs and prices, and am down to a couple of choices for my laptop purchase.
I stumbled across user complaints about NVIDI Optimus performance on the following forum:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=5dd3ed8e13f67f657552c1515013e546&showforum=211

If you are running Optimus, does it work for you?
I find it hard to believe that there is a systemic problem, but all these angry voices must mean something.

Next question:
All other things being equal, for a with two possible choices, would you pick:
a) MSI FX620DX-256US with 640GB @5400 and 2 USB 3.0 ports, or
b) Asus A53SV-XN1 with 750GB @7200 and all USB 2.0 p;orts.

Thanks.

Solution
Hmm... there about the same...
But the Asus hard drive is faster, larger.
And the price is a bit lower.

If you have a device that supports USB 3.0 then get the MSI, otherwise, stick to the Asus, there is no point in getting the MSI based on the USB capabillities if you don't have a device that supports USB 3.0 (or don't plan on getting one), ultimately, USB 3.0 is much faster, is it worth it? Well, that depends on how much data transfering

They're both great deals, can't really go wrong with either. Unless there are issues with them...

They're both pretty close.

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Hmm... there about the same...
But the Asus hard drive is faster, larger.
And the price is a bit lower.

If you have a device that supports USB 3.0 then get the MSI, otherwise, stick to the Asus, there is no point in getting the MSI based on the USB capabillities if you don't have a device that supports USB 3.0 (or don't plan on getting one), ultimately, USB 3.0 is much faster, is it worth it? Well, that depends on how much data transfering

They're both great deals, can't really go wrong with either. Unless there are issues with them...

They're both pretty close.

Solution