Not open for further replies.

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I have a Dell Mini 1012 and it has the following problems;
USB not working
Webcam not working
Sound is muffled

I ran the following programs, anti-virus, malwarebytes, Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool, Microsofte's Fix-It, Spybot, and AdAware and nothing found. I booted to Dells Dognostic Bios program and everything checked out. I ran a Windows repair and still nothing changed. Did a system restore and nothing. I have two yellow question marks under USB in Device Manager and I can not get them to go away no matter what. I went to Dell's site and downloaded all the drivers for the board and also downloaded the Intel Chipset Driver from Intel and un-installed all drivers and re-installed the new drivers and no change. I am thinking it's a hardware problem with something on the motherboard. If anyone has a suggest I would really like to hear it.

Spec's :
•Intel Atom N450 processor
1.6GHz, 667MHz Front Side Bus, 512KB L2 Cache
•1GB DDR2 system memory
Enough memory to handle today's most memory-hungry applications
•160GB 5400 rpm hard drive
Store your photos, music, videos, documents and more with plenty of storage space to spare
•Wired Ethernet, Wireless WiFi
Connect to a broadband modem or network with 10/100 Ethernet LAN; connect wirelessly to a wireless network or hotspot with Dell 1397 g Half Mini Card WLAN
•10.1" diagonal widescreen display
1024 x 600 resolution; Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 integrated graphics

Additional Features:

•Built-in 1.3MP webcam
•3-in-1 digital media card reader
•6-cell rechargeable lithium-ion battery
•AC power supply included

Solution
Assuming that you are using Windows 7 (Starter).
Click Start,
Type: Device Manager
Open Device Manager
Click on the + Next to: Universal Serial Bus controllers.
Uninstall USB Root Hubs, Generics.

Click on the + next to Imaging devices.
Uninstall Webcam.

Click the + next to Sound, video and game controllers.
Uninstall audio-related drivers.

Restart Computer.
Let Windows redetect devices.

Do not do this if you are running anything besides Windows 7. on Vista and XP, you will have to manually add drivers.

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Assuming that you are using Windows 7 (Starter).
Click Start,
Type: Device Manager
Open Device Manager
Click on the + Next to: Universal Serial Bus controllers.
Uninstall USB Root Hubs, Generics.

Click on the + next to Imaging devices.
Uninstall Webcam.

Click the + next to Sound, video and game controllers.
Uninstall audio-related drivers.

Restart Computer.
Let Windows redetect devices.

Do not do this if you are running anything besides Windows 7. on Vista and XP, you will have to manually add drivers.

Solution

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I installed Windows 7 Enterprise back in Feb and evreything was working fine until last week. I think you, but I have already tried all of your suggestions and even after I un-installed and then re-installed, nothing changed. In Device Manager there are no imaging devices listed and I know there should be one for the Webcam. That's why I think there may be something wrong with a controller chip of some sort on the motherboard. When you are booting up it does not even give you an option to boot to USB in the F12 quick boot menu. You can set it to boot to USB in the Bios but that doesn't work either. I am trying to think of a way to reload Windows 7 to see if that will work. I am not giving up until I find out what is wrong.

txguy5199

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011

Dallasjoh:

I have a mini 1012 with the same problem. The tech at Dell (actually in India) went through a BIOS install and it fixed the problem for a short period. The problem seems to be the USB hardware. If I move my wireless mouse dongle a certain way inside the port, the USB suddenly works fine. The USB will recognize a ramdrive and my external HDDrive but not my mouse or CD ROM Drive. It all boils down to the connector port not being within tolerances. I used a separate extension connector and it works fine. Again the hardware seems to be the culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.