Stuck Pixel Help, New Laptop. Emergency! :(

upd@te

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
:( Hello Everyone,

Im new to Tom's Hardware. The reason why i joined is that i have a very serious problem.

I just bought an expensive toshiba laptop and everything seems to be working properly..except there is a tiny red stuck pixel. Its not dead, since it is emitting a static color..not dead/black.

I have read that people used ''softwares'' that plays RGB colours..etc that would remove it.

I used UD pixel software for about 2 minutes and stopped since nothings happening.

I also tried massaging the area gently and using the ''pen-point'' method to press the area where the stuck pixel is. It doesn't seem to work. I have stopped doing it since I'm afraid I might cause more serious damage to my laptop screen.

I'm so sad since this is my very first laptop and I love it to bits. May I know, apart from being annoying, are there any disadvantages of stuck pixels? Can stuck pixels really ''go away''? I have read people saying they do for some time, others claim the massaging method works, while a few say SOME stuck pixels are permanent. I am so afraid that the latter may be the case for me. Hopefully not.

Please, can anyone share stories of their success with stuck pixels? Can someone please tell me how to deal with this? Thank you so much. :)

Solution
At the very least it is an annoyance. How much of an annoyance depends on where it is on the screen. The closer to the center, the more annoying it will be. If it was near the edge, then it would be less annoying and can be ignored.

Disadvantage? Well, that would mean it must be extremely annoying.

There is nothing you can really do about except to attempt to exchange it. But usually you need to have at least 5 dead or stuck pixels. The problem with a LCD display is that there are literally millions of itty bitty parts that make up the LCD panel like sub-pixels and capacitors. It is inevitable that some displays may have minor issues immediately after production.

upd@te

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

Hello,

I find it an emergency since it is my first laptop and it is not perfect. SURE its just a stuck pixel, but a lot people are kind of like perfectionists. Im one of them.

Its really just a tiny red speck on the right side of my laptop (not corner).

But still, i find it a bit annoying and I am worried that it might make my whole screen bad?? I really doubt that, its kinda a embarrassing, being an engineer myself, not knowing whether or not the stuck pixel might spread or cause additional problems. ><

What do you think? Is annoyance its only disadvantage?

I really love my laptop though, its almost perfect for me.

Its a Toshiba Satellite P750 02j (PSAY3A 02J001)
Quad Core i7 2630qm
Nvidia gt 540m 1gb
4gb RAM
750 gb SATA Hard Disk
Metallic Silver Color

Please guys, can anyone help me :)

At the very least it is an annoyance. How much of an annoyance depends on where it is on the screen. The closer to the center, the more annoying it will be. If it was near the edge, then it would be less annoying and can be ignored.

Disadvantage? Well, that would mean it must be extremely annoying.

There is nothing you can really do about except to attempt to exchange it. But usually you need to have at least 5 dead or stuck pixels. The problem with a LCD display is that there are literally millions of itty bitty parts that make up the LCD panel like sub-pixels and capacitors. It is inevitable that some displays may have minor issues immediately after production.

Solution

upd@te

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Thanks so much. Yeah I think, theoretically, annoyance is its only drawback...

Just making sure, you sure that it is not a sign that my screen is defective (well obviously it is a pixel DEFECT), but do you think that it will might cause my screen to fail? Maybe it is a harbinger of an LCD malfunction?

I can simply exchange this to a same laptop, free of charge, but I cant be bothered going through the whole process and
re-installing everything.

If annoyance is its only drawback, I can deal with that, since its very tiny! And as long as its somewhat guaranteed that it wont cause me any other problems besides that...though hopefully it will just vanish.

Besides I have a 1 year Toshiba warranty plus a 2 year extended retailer warranty (don't get me wrong, I know retailer warranties are infamous for being unreliable, but I talked to them and they said they will exchange or replace it whatever happens - except accidents) so Im covered just in case.

Thanks jaguarskx

upd@te

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

Hey, just wondering, was my thread closed or marked as [Solved] when I ranked your answer as the best?

I think you helped me in seeking the right answers, but before i finally end this thread, could you please kindly answer my question above me? I just want a peace of mind you know? And..if possible, not being offensive or something, could you give me some 'proof' that your answers are backed up to some degree, whether it be based on your experience, friends...etc. Again this is just for my peace of mind, just want to be sure :)

THANKS! :)

[Solved] appears when you select the best answer, but it does not close a thread. Threads must be manually closed or locked by a moderator.

Having a single or a few dead pixels is not a sign that the LCD panel is going to fail. It should be fine. If you had an entire vertical or horizontal line of dead or stuck pixels, then that would be a different matter.

Actually, this reminded me of a time when my IBM ThinkPad T40 developed a stuck pixel near the edge of the screen. It was there for a few months, then it seemed to have "fixed" itself later, then get stuck again and then "fixed" itself again. Kinda weird, but perhaps your pixel will fix itself; unlikely, but you never know.

Just check the length of your warranty so if more dead or stuck pixels appear, you may be able to get it serviced for free. Also check how many dead/stuck pixels you must have before it is considered defective.

upd@te

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

Thanks so much!

I am now happy and at ease! :)