Solved! Hp dv6t reliability

Fultix

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
hi, i'm currently looking to buy a new laptop and the only pc that i really am interested in is the hp dv6t, however i have read a lot on hp and it seems that people have been saying that they have been having lots off reliability issues with hp and overheating issues. i was wondering if this is true because i need my laptop to last around 4-5 years. i'm really worried that if i get the hp it'll last around a year and it'll malfuntion. here are the current specs on my dv6t custom build that i am planning to order

Intel Dual Core i5-2410M (2.3 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz
1GB GDDR5 Radeon(TM) HD 6490M Graphics [HDMI, VGA]
6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
15.6" diagonal High Definition HP BrightView LED Display (1366x768)
Primary optical drive Blu-ray writer & SuperMulti DVD burner

$886

if you have any suggestions on better laptops, please let me know
if i find that hp is too unreliable then i might not buy it and just get a macbook pro, although the design is nice, the base model is $1199 and you only get godamn intel hd graphics 3000...

frozenlead

Distinguished

I've had my NP5793 for nearly 4 years (I think..) now, and the machine is still solid. The battery life hasn't degraded at all, really, and the machine is still able to take heavy doses of CAD and mesh generation routines, though on gaming it's starting to weaken (but that's to be expected...no gaming notebook lasts forever). It is constructed well and has suffered no cracking, bending, or breaking, despite having been in the sun, in backpacks, in the woods, on trains, on airplanes (my bag was actually dropped a foot or two since the plane was too small and my carry too big - no damage), in class...I've even slept on it a few times. I would highly recommend Sager or any other Clevo notebook seller (Xotic PC, Eurocom, etc).

I wrote a review on the notebook on these forums. Search for it and take a look if you'd like.

Fultix

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
would you say they're reliable and consistant? i'm mainly gonna use this for multimedia stuff and some drawing, maybe cad in the future but i haven't gotten into that yet

are they made from plastic or metal?

Fultix

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
also are you sure it will last around 5 years because these look more powerful and look like gaming laptops and they usually last only 2-3 and components overheat and stuff

frozenlead

Distinguished

The machines are made of plastic, but it's not very thin. It can depend on chassis, but mine has an aluminum encased screen. The machine doesn't bend when you pick it up from one side much, and, as I said, has never cracked, broken, or failed me in any way.

Of course, on the subject of heat, you do have to take care of the thing. You'll blow up a BMW if you don't get the oil changed. You will need to clean the machine's heatsinks and fans at least once a year (you should do this with any notebook). With my notebook in particular, this is extremely easy - unlike many notebook designs, a single panel at the bottom of the notebook opens to reveal pretty much every computing component, where they can be easily removed and cleaned.

It will certainly last 5 years if you take care of it.

Fultix

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
ok, so im getting a custom np5160, for $844

Sager NP5160 / Clevo W150HN
- 15.6” HD+ 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1600x900) Super Clear Matte Type Screen
- Standard Dead Pixel Policy
- - 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-2410M, 2.3-2.9GHz, (32nm, 3MB L3 cache)
- IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU (Cools better than all Compounds)
- nVidia GT 540M 1024MB PCI-Express GDDR3 DX11 with Optimus™ Technology
- No Video Adapter
- ~ 4,096MB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 SODIMMS)
- Standard Finish
- ~ 320GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache) - Default
- ~ Combo Dual Layer SuperMulti DVDRW/CDRW Drive w/ Software (When selecting a Hard Drive in the Optical Bay, No Optical Drive is Included)
- No Extra Optical Bay Hard Drive Caddy
- No Back Up Hard Drive
- NO External USB Optical Drive
- No Floppy Drive
- Internal 4-in-1 Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO)
- No Back Up Software
- None Standard--
- Built-in 802.11 Wireless B/G/N - Stock Wireless Card + Bluetooth
- No Network Accessory
- Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
- No TV Tuner
- Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
- No Carrying Case
- NO Spare Battery
- No Car Adapter
- None Standard*
- No Dock/Hub/Adapter
- Integrated Fingerprint Reader
- No External Keyboard or Mouse
- No Notebook Cooler
- ~Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Installed (64&32-Bit CD Included) w/ Drivers & Utilities CD's + Microsoft Office Starter 2010 - Included with OS Purchase
- No Office Software
- No Software Bundle
- 3 Year Labor 1 Year Parts, Lifetime Sager Toll Free Tech Support
- No Xotic PC Gear

would this handle 1080p movies, tf2, sc2, and photoshop? is this good or is there a better build i should get?
i've read that the np5160 gets a bit hot underload though.
this is actually kinda exciting for me cuz i finally found a nice laptop company thats reliable and has a good design, i was kind leaning toward the macbook cuz of it's alluminum chassis before this :??:

Fultix

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
ok, im not sure if i should just get the 700 dollar base model, it cost so much more for the custom but i heard the glossy screen is like a mirror
if i got base model do i get windows with it or is there no operating system

Fultix

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
what about the dell latitude e5420, im a bit resiliant on getting dell... well basically same reason as hp except i mostly just hear about dell sucking in school and from friends while i read about hp online

still not sure about getting sager cuz its a bit pricey if i get the os and the ic diamond thermal compound, i am trying to keep costs low

Fultix

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
what about the asus k42, i've been looking at it for awhile but i've been worried about the build quality, it doesn't look very sturdy in the photos but thats mainly cuz of how glossy it is in the photos but it has some alluminum, do you think it would better than the sager np5160