A pc laptop to match an apple mac book pro

trewith

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Hello, Considering abandoning my PC laptop after 3-4 years and moving across to an apple mac, but it hurts to spend the money necessary. Is there yet a PC laptop that can match the advantages of an apple laptop?
Cheers Andrew adcall@yahoo.co.uk

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
I don't see any advantages to an apple laptop.

If you are talking about hardware advantages, apple has no advantage.

If you are talking about software advantages, it would be a purely subjective matter, aka whichever one you like better.

I generally do not recommend apple computers/laptops because they are very overpriced and tend to use dated hardware.

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Ummm... I think the question should be.. is there a Mac that can match a PC. The answer is... No. If you want to read my comments on Mac, read this:
Macs and PCs aren’t at all that different. The only notable difference is the Operating System. The hardware is about the same.
Many people comment on Mac as if they are a perfect representation of computers, basically, they claim that they have no flaws. Many T.V. shows use Mac as props; the Apple logo has basically become iconic.
But in the tech world, there are major flaws, and I don’t understand why Macs are even a debatable topic. The iPad was just another tablet PC. Nothing new… iPods are just like mp4 players, nothing new as well… But people still choose Mac for some reason… it may be because of the well known fact that they’re expensive, and it a way to show off, or it might be a fashion statement, because the chassis is always well designed, or it may just be, that you started out on Mac, you’ve integrated yourself into their applications, such as iTunes, and you know that you can lose your Mac world by going to PC, which is not true. But I must point out the facts… on why…. PCs are much better, and money efficient.
The reason why Macs get “less” viruses is mostly because they are much less spammers and hackers, developing malware for Mac. Windows has become a universal platform on computers. 85% of all computers are computers with Windows OS, thus, you have a larger security risked on PC.
The reason why people consider Mac faster is because Mac developers built tailor fitted OSs to work on their different models of desktops and laptops alike. Since they are one joint company, while Microsoft, on the other hand, has to build an Operating System that is compatible with many platforms, there is no internal difference besides its processor bit capabilities. And that makes Microsoft have to sacrifice better architectural designing, and cool features, to avoid problems with lower-end hardware, that might have trouble coping with the demands, this issue was brightly displayed on the release of Windows Vista, which was tested on high-end hardware, but once it reached those low-end net books, and budget friendly computers, its performance disintegrated to a RAM hogging OS.
Microsoft Windows supports almost every software (Except a few built by Apple), and it also supports all the games, movie codecs, and music codecs, and they can understand all mainstream computer languages, not to mention the millions of Windows applications that are imaginable. Windows is the most capable.
Macs are too expensive. They sell netbooks (mini computers) with last generation hardware for over 1000 dollars. A super powerful PC for 850 dollars, which contains the speedy core i7 (ranks number 1 worldwide), and the crisp 5870 GPU (also one of the fastest chips on the planet) from AMD, along with these feature comes a great display, full size keyboard with numeric keypad (backlit), award winning 2x fan cooling system from Asus, and it actually can be overclocked thru a button that clocks for an extra 0.15 Ghz.
The closest I could get with a Macbook Pro 17” was 3500 dollars, and it still did not meet the requirements, example: it had a 330, a cheap excuse for a graphics card.
By the way, the laptop I was referring to is an ASUS G73jh-RBBX05, Which is now an older model of the series (price was taken when it was still top-notch tech, it still is, but there are already updated models.), the current version is the G74, and it eats Macs for breakfast! And is still much cheaper.

I don’t see why it’s so expensive, why on earth would I spend 3000+ dollars on a computer. That a- is very primitive in terms of flexibility, and b- supports almost nothing besides a few programs that Apple made, strangely coded apps for Mac, and a few others from big software companies (Adobe… (which are available on PC)). I don’t think a logo is worth that much money, when I can invest money on a much cheaper PC, and fit all the compatibility, speed, and graphics performance I will ever need, and still have piles of money left over to get some super expensive softwares, some extreme extra gear, and the rest I can pile up for the next time I need to get a new computer, or upgrade my parts.
Also, Apple has been known to underclock their hardware, from iPods to MacBooks. They do it, because it makes the system run cooler. And provides them with a cheap way, to not only keep it cool, but it also provides more battery life, and it consumes less electricity, so a slightly cooler A/C adapter comes as well. But, are you willing to sacrifice performance for 10ᵒF? What is the whole point of overclocking if you’re going to worry about slightly higher temperatures, that why you have some extreme cooling features (from Windows manufacturers). Some overclockers take hardware to its limits with these features. They go up to 7 Ghz from the standard 3.33 Ghz (Core i7 990xx). This is also away to avoid spending money, and yet, get performance that is ahead of its time. Try overclocking a Mac and see what happens, oh wait… I forgot, Macs use EFI… not BIOS…
Apple is also behind in the tech world, they have been slow to provide Blu-Ray, hdmi, and USB 3.0, while they worked along with Intel to make the Thunderbolt port, which in my opinion, is practically useless, since only 2 devices currently support it, and those.. of course, are very expensive, I could gain more investing in other things.
Also, when you buy a Mac, your investing a lot of money into a system, not only is it limited compared to Windows, but once you need a better computer, you have to get rid of it, or put it in the attic, to buy another computer that cost who-knows-how-much. On a PC, you just simply need to find faster parts online (or at a local tech store), buy them for a cheap price, and swap out the old module in your computer, and then your computer can continue ruling the tech world, while being very cost efficient.
Not to be offensive, but I simply haven’t found a Mac user who is completely computer literate, they do not know what they are talking about, and they always refer to those notorious Mac commercials as the truth, and the reason why Mac is the best, many of them are twisted lies, and I bet 99% of the people who use that excuse have never used a Windows computer as their primary system, or maybe haven’t even used it before at all.
Mac people argue: “you can use bootcamp to install Windows on a Mac, so then you get the best of both worlds”. It is true, you can install Windows on a Mac, when you can’t install Mac on a PC (unless you compile yourself a Hackintosh) but the computers performance degrades, and windows does not run well at all for some reason, and any custom Apple drivers are always extremely glitchy. It is not like BIOS Dual-booting, where the two operating systems are completely separate, you are running Windows off Mac in this case.
Just stay away from Mac, the only reason to get a Mac, is if you ABSOLUTELY have to use one of their softwares which are [sadly] unavailable on Windows PCs, since Apple does have some excellent programs, that I can’t understand why PC programmers couldn’t design a worthy alternative. But then again, PCs offer multiple cheap, or even free, solutions for that problem too.
Imagine a world were only Mac existed, who could afford it? Not many people, it would be something reserved to people with fat wallets… The tech world would be boring, just thank God for PC.

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010

a little extensive but right on point!

+1

Joe_18

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
Oh my, Obviously you have never owned an Apple computer.... I am very much a Windows person, however I have not been able to find any pc vendor that makes hardware with the same quality as Apple. I have a 27" Imac running of all things windows, and it is unmatched by anything hardware any PC vender has to offer. The same is true with the Laptops, the quality is astounding and no pc vendor even comes close. And,,, The Apple hardware is the only equipment I have found that maintains any resale value. Buy the Apple,, advice from a windows user...

AntiZig

Distinguished

"Vendor makes hardware" ? :heink:

Can you please list the hardware components that you claim to be so supreme that apple produces/manufactures besides the chasis?