Number keys not working

Cabbagehead

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Hello,
The number keys, except 5 and 6, on my dell inspiron laptop have stopped working all of a sudden. There hasnt been anything spilled on it and I havent damaged it in anyother way, they were working one day and not the next. Any ideas on what might have caused this or how to fix it?
Thanks

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Okay, try a few basic things, Your laptop should have a function key (Fn).
Try holding down on that and pressing one of those numbers.
Check Number lock...

But, I guess, since these numbers aren't on the same page, it will change the others...

Maybe the number function was altered. Read this guide: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/map-any-key-to-any-key-on-windows-xp-vista/

Hopefully, by using this, you can refresh the function of the key, or change it back to the correct function if the mapping is messed up.

The guide will show you how to download Sharpkeys (program that will you will use to remap the keys) and how to use it.

Hope it works!

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
If it is still in warranty, then send it back to dell and let them do a quick diagnostics on it, I'd think they'd probably say that it was broken and needed replacing. But, If those 2 keys aren't working, and the rest are... well, that's probably the problem...