Solved! Need help deciding which laptop to get

leonee

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
hey,
I am looking at 3 laptops. trying to get the free xbox deal. Willing to spend like $750
The main factor for this laptop is gaming. I don't need a top end, but would like to play the games in at least medium. like sc2

1. What is your budget?

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15inch

3. What screen resolution do you want?
i dont care

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
does not matter

5. How much battery life do you need?
does not matter

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
yes , modern games with at least medium settings like sc2

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
school work

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
does not matter

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
amazon

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
at least 3 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
none
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I dont care about brands.

13. What country do you live in?
usa

All 3 laptops are in same price range.
The acer has a gt 540m video card. it has a 2nd gen core i5, the only problem is that its 13 inch, and not sure if thats to small for gaming. This laptop would be perfect if it was not for the 13 inch lcd

than acer with 2nd gen core i5 and a gt 520m this one is 15.6 inch video card is a little weak.

hp dv6 has a 15 inch lcd it has a AMD Radeon™ HD 6620G Discrete-Class Graphics.
Can't find much info on this card only from notebookcheck saying "The performance should be on a level of a Mobility Radeon HD 5650 graphics card" I checked the 5650 and its almost as good as the 540, but not sure if this is ture.

It also has a quadcore A8-3500M and a blueray player, which i dont care about but i figure i could sell the blueray.

right now looking at the hp, but want to make sure that the video card is like the 5650 or at least better then the 520.
thanks

Solution

Check on that A8-3500M CPU @ Notebookcheck too. It's a bit weak when compared with some others. And I think in some CPU intensive games it might hold the integrated HD 6620G graphics card back.

I like the HP DV6t with i5-2410 and HD 6770 a lot. Check that out.

No problem gaming on a 13" laptop. It has the same 1366x768 pixel resolution as the 15" models. Just in a smaller package - but the 'on screen real estate' is the same.

Check on that A8-3500M CPU @ Notebookcheck too. It's a bit weak when compared with some others. And I think in some CPU intensive games it might hold the integrated HD 6620G graphics card back.

I like the HP DV6t with i5-2410 and HD 6770 a lot. Check that out.

No problem gaming on a 13" laptop. It has the same 1366x768 pixel resolution as the 15" models. Just in a smaller package - but the 'on screen real estate' is the same.

Solution

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
It's personal preference on the screen size. For my laptop I thought 13" was too small but didn't want something like 17" since I need it for school. If you don't have a desktop for at home, you could always hook it up to a tv or buy an external lcd monitor too. The HP WR2 recommend is very popular right now and offers great performance for its price. I was going to get it but I found a better deal locally.

TRENDING THREADS