Solved! My computer gets hot when I turn it on

Solution
Keep your laptop on a hard surface so the fans and vents can get air. Don't put in on pillows or on your bed without a laptop pad. Does this heat affect anything? Do you think it is above normal? The bottom of my laptop gets hot when I use it too, but that's because it's working. If it's new and you don't like it, return it for a lower powered model. If its old, vacuum and compressed air can clean it out, or if you want it thoroughly cleaned, take it to a licensed repair shop and tell them you wanted it cleaned. Or go to a Big retailer and pick up a laptop pad and go about your day.

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Keep your laptop on a hard surface so the fans and vents can get air. Don't put in on pillows or on your bed without a laptop pad. Does this heat affect anything? Do you think it is above normal? The bottom of my laptop gets hot when I use it too, but that's because it's working. If it's new and you don't like it, return it for a lower powered model. If its old, vacuum and compressed air can clean it out, or if you want it thoroughly cleaned, take it to a licensed repair shop and tell them you wanted it cleaned. Or go to a Big retailer and pick up a laptop pad and go about your day.

Solution

frozenlead

Distinguished

Using compressed air is a better option than vacuuming your machine. The air moves faster and will clean better from an air compressor, and doesn't generate all the static that a vacuum does. Computers seem to resist external fields these days, but data is precious.