Solved! Looking for $1k gaming laptop

Gamblethis31527

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Hey guys,

I just want to thank everyone in advance for helping me out with this laptop, I am having trouble finding a laptop on amazon and such that fits my gaming needs, so I have come here for some guidance =). I copied the FAQ from a different thread to help clarify the preference of what kind of laptop I want.

1. What is your budget?
$1000

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Could vary. Any size that has a good resolution would do.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Around 1400x900, not too picky about resolution.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Not too sure, I'd like to see both optionsperhaps.

5. How much battery life do you need?
Not too picky on battery life either.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes. Some of the games that I would like to play are Dragon Age 2, Fallout: New Vegas, and other games like that on at least medium setting. I would also like to be able to comfortably play some of the new games that are coming out in the future such as Diablo III, Mass Effect 3, etc.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Word processing and maybe adobe photoshop.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
120 gigs minimum but up to 300. Whatever size is the best value for what it's worth at the time.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
None.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2-4 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD ROM

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Cost-efficient brands are what I prefer, I'm not too sure which is which though.

13. What country do you live in?
U.S.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
In summary, I'd like a gaming laptop that costs around $1k. I believe many games that I prefer to play require at least 2.4 ghz processor.

If you need any more questions answered about the laptop I wish to buy, please feel free to ask.

Thank you so much.

Gamblethis31527

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Thanks for the reply,

I was looking at the specs and it looks great.

My only concern is the processor.

When it says 2.3-2.9 Ghz, does the 2.9 Ghz mean after overclocking? I am also not too familiar with the Intel Core i5 and how many cores it actually has. 4 would be great.

Once again thanks for the recommendation.

That Core i5-2410M CPU is new Sandy Bridge model with two cores/four threads running at 2.3Ghz and a 'turbo mode' up to 2.9Ghz on single CPU core, depending on the work load.

All in all, that's a great option for gaming when paired with the GT 555M graphics card.