Solved! Hp dv7t vs Dell XPS 17 w/ FHD Display - Which is Better?

skyh

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Hi,

I'm trying to decide between a Dell XPS 17 and an HP Pavilion dv7tqe laptop.

Both have a 2.2G i7-2720 CPU, 8G of RAM. I gather the graphics cards are comparable, with perhpas a small edge to Dell's Geforce GT555m, though HP's ATI 6770m runs cooler.

Dell apparently has better sound.

Both have a 1920x1080 FHD anti-glare display. I've heard claims that Dell's FHD display is better. Any truth to this?

Thanks,
Chris

Solution
Hello and welcome to the forums :)
Both are really good,you can't go wrong with either but judging from the reviews,DV7 has less battery life and a worse touch pad so overall,XPS 17 is a better choice

skyh

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Thanks for the info, all - I bought the Dell.

Tech support has been an absolute nightmare - so bad that I wonder if their support manager is really an HP mole trying to secretly sabotage the support department. But at least, after 3 incredibly stressful hours on the phone with someone who was apparently under the influence of powerful hallucinogens, I got them to ship me a hard drive with the factory install image, in lieu of actually fixing the Windows error I encountered on start up.

And at least I managed not to let myself be conned by the tech, who informed me that my problem was caused by a corrupt Nero install (Nero has never been installed on my system, which by then I had reverted to the Dell factory image), and that he would fix the problem by disabling the entire contents of my startup folder, because I didn't need really need any of those applications.

Given the preceding, I supposed I shouldn't have been surprised when they shipped the wrong replacement hard drive. However, they have faithfully promised me that the correct imaged drive will arrive tomorrow. Maybe I'll finally get lucky ...

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Lol, this is why I will never buy a Dell or HP product again. My parents have a dell desktop, always has problems and their customer support is pretty pathetic. Our hp printer constantly has problems too. Good luck to you though and I hope your problem does get fixed!

JessieLC

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011

I have a HP DVT7QE 17" and we love it no heat issues and the color and screen are great! Plus I got a deal using HP coupons commonly found on the web to get a great deal too! Have had HP printers for >20 yrs. Have always had good service and have replaced a couple with new HP printers. I always suggest the extended warranty as it does cut through alot of the red tape with issues. It still is a good idea to research what you want!

lotri

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I really like Dell's Customer Service. I replaced a few parts in my laptop during the life of my warranty without any problems. Plus, they're probably the only ones who have in-home tech support so you don't have to send in your laptop for repairs.