Dell inspiron 1564 motherboard replacement

robojin

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Can i replace my motherboard for dell inspiron 1564 i3-330m with the motherboard of dell inspiron 1564 i5-520m? will it fit nicely in my laptop?

or is there a motherboard that has an i7 processor that will fit exactly for inspiron 1564?

thanks in advance. i already tried to google but didn't have any luck finding the answers.

Solution
I think the mobo are the same through the inspiron 1564 range. So if your mobo is dead, I think you can use that as a replacement. But if you just want to upgrade the cpu, just slot the first gen mobile i5 or i7 in, you don't need a new mobo, the HM55 chipset will work. Just make sure you have the right mobo socket cpu combination (rPGA or BGA).

But I sense that you don't have much experience in handling laptop hardware, and I think what you are about to do will be very challenging for your, so I recommend you not to DIY, unless the mobo is dead and you are out of warranty.

Pyree

Distinguished
I think the mobo are the same through the inspiron 1564 range. So if your mobo is dead, I think you can use that as a replacement. But if you just want to upgrade the cpu, just slot the first gen mobile i5 or i7 in, you don't need a new mobo, the HM55 chipset will work. Just make sure you have the right mobo socket cpu combination (rPGA or BGA).

But I sense that you don't have much experience in handling laptop hardware, and I think what you are about to do will be very challenging for your, so I recommend you not to DIY, unless the mobo is dead and you are out of warranty.

Solution

Maksym

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008

Let me ask you this first, have you ever attempted something like this before?

Replacement of MB on a desktop is nothing and I mean NOTHING compared to replacement of MB on the laptop.

Be prepared to spend hours and hours, organizing the screws, ensuring that all of the wires are connected and that you are not grounded.

Seriously think about this, perhaps its easier to sell your old laptop and add a bit of cash and buy i5.

I do not mean to be discouraging but I do not want you to ruin your laptop.

robojin

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
@Pyree. yes, i only want to upgrade the CPU. i am also trying to find a way how to change the GPU integrated intel HD graphics. i'll just google some details about the i5/i7 mobile processors.

@Maksym. its ok, we have experts here in Philippines that can guide me and i can't sell the laptop, this thing has sentimental meaning to me haha but thanks!

thanks for helping out everyone. i'll let you guys know about the results of this

Pyree

Distinguished
Then you have to get your technician to open it and see if it has mxm gpu or one that is solder on the mobo. If it is mxm, you can get one online. There is an online store specialize in laptop gpu, but I lost its bookmark long ago, try google it.