MP3 players that dont need special software/driver

yar

Distinguished
May 3, 2004
Hello, i hope im not asking something already here somewhere (im still reading through the posts)

Im looking for a MP3 player and my only real requirement is that I do not need to use any special software or load drivers for it to connect to my computer. My dream piece would be just hooking it up to USB and windows recognizing it as a removable disk (being able to mount it as such in *nix would be a plus but not really essential). Then I just use my favorite file manager to move the files over to the thing.

So anyone know any that are like this. In another post someone else mentioned iRiver products but are there any other.

If you happen to have or know of a player like that it be great if you could post and let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Ray

I am nobody
Nobody is perfect
therefore i am perfect (just kidding)
--Family Motto

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I know for a fact iRiver players doesn't need special software/drivers.
I'm pretty sure most of the little generic flash rom ones don't need anything special.
I want to say creative players don't but I don't remember for sure. I vaguely remember my friend talking to me about the creative zen xtra he just got. I'll ask him about it.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

fizgig

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
The Archos Gmini XS200 works for me. It is a standard USB mass storage device. No drivers required under WinXP, OSX, or Linux 2.4. It has very fast transfer speeds. Just make sure to do the firmware update first thing. ;)

e_engineer

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
iRiver is a nice stuff but be careful...some old models need to have firmware upgrade to make windows recognizing.
good day!

POWER ELECTRONÝCS

thaloc

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2002
Creative MuVo. Just upgraded from the very first model (128MB, been using it for over two years) to V200 1GB :). Works perfect as pen-drive, no drivers needed (unless in some absolete sytems like Win95), also no cables needed becouse USB plug is build-in :).
<A HREF="http://www.creative.com/products/welcome.asp?category=213&subcategory=215" target="_new">http://www.creative.com/products/welcome.asp?category=213&subcategory=215</A>

palmerg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
I love my Rio Cali 256 - Takes MMC cards, has timre, FM, easy controls, nice arm strap and cradl. Great for running, bicycling and sports in general. The earphones aren't my favorite I would change then out (did). BUt overall a great player.

blueadept1

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2005
I'd recommend the rio carbon for the following reasons (I own one myself)...

1) Long 20 hour battery life.
2) 5GB capacity
3) Slim design (sexy too!)
4) USB portable drive connectivity as you requested. No software required.
5) Soon to have Janus support (Microsoft DRM).

Must be more...

TRENDING THREADS