Laptop for general use + school.

wortwortwort

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
I have a decent knowledge of the current desktop components out there, but know almost nothing about laptops. I'm looking for a laptop that will primarily be used for school. I'm upgrading from a Dell Latitude C640 with a P4 at 2.20GHz, a 40GB hard drive and no working USB ports, so pretty much anything will be an improvement.

1. What is your budget?
I would like to keep in the $500-700 (Canadian) range, but there is a fair bit of flexibility.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
The size doesn't matter much, it just can't be a gigantic monster that is impossible to move.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
I would prefer something above 1366 x 768, such as 1600 x 900, but I am not sure if there are any laptops with that resolution within my price range.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable, I already have a high-end gaming desktop (i5 750 and 5870), so this is meant for use at school, on trips, etc.

5. How much battery life do you need?
As much as possible. I really do not know what to expect as the only laptop I have ever owned almost never left the house (The reason I built a desktop instead of buying a laptop)

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Games would be nice, but it isn't essential. If it could play Civilization V, Halo 2 Vista that would be ok. If it could play most modern games at low/medium settings, I would be thrilled.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Nothing demanding, just web browsing, watching movies, word processing.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
I think that 250GB would be the absolute minimum, but there is no such thing as too much storage space.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
The only site that I have had experience with, other than Ebay is Newegg. I was satisfied with service

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I would like it to last 4-5 years if possible.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
A DVD ROM is essential for software installation. I will not be writing any disks and since I will not be able to find a laptop with a 1080p screen, a BD-ROM drive is pointless.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
No preference.

13. What country do you live in?
Canada

Final note: It must have more than 1 USB port. There was nothing more frustrating than not being able to plug in your mouse and a USB drive simultaneously. Also, if your only USB port breaks, you're out of luck.

I've seen this: Acer Aspire AS5552G, which looks like a good deal. Any other suggestions?

Maksym

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
I would recommend going for Lenovo Y570, instead of Acer, the cheapest is 799, which comes with i3, GT 555, 4Gb of DDr3 ram. Way better than the Acer you suggested.

Solution

wortwortwort

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010

That would be nice, except I live in Canada. Dell decides that they would charge me $1199 for the same laptop. Also, instead of changing individual parts, I have to pick from several set variants. That option doesn't work for me.

wortwortwort

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010

That laptop looks great. Strong graphics performance, 640GB of storage, 6GB of RAM. I haven't really been able to find information on the CPU though. I haven't been able to find anywhere that has it in stock. Is it a new model?