Will this laptop support two hard drives?

whatever61

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Hello,

I would like to get a laptop with two hard drives and replace one of them with a SSD hard drive. now I understand that it's possible to do when the laptop supports two hard drives. Problem is that it's never mentioned in the laptop description, it always said if there are 1 or 2 hard drives inside, but never clear if there's only one, can it support another one?
Anyone knows of a good way to check that?

I'm looking for this model for example:

http://www.dunnet.nl/ProductDetails.aspx?en=80001919&src=TWK

The chipset is Intel HM65 Express, I tried to check on Intel website and it says the following:

"High-speed storage interface supporting up to 6 Gb/s transfer rate for improved data access. Provides up to 6 SATA ports at 3 Gb/s with up to 2 ports supporting 6 Gb/s transfer rates."

6 SATA ports and 2 another 2 fast ones? so in total it's 8 ports..? sounds too much for a laptop..

here is another laptop, which is being sold with two hard drives: http://www.redcoon.be/index.php/cmd/shop/a/ProductDetail/pid/B300021/cid/60004/refId/kiesk/) and it has the same chipset HM65, so I assume that both of them can handle two hard drives. I just hope they don't have different versions of this HM65...

Can anyone approve it? I want to be sure before buying.
Thanks!

Hello whatever61

Asus N73SV has 2 HDD drive bays.
It's not the same chipset HM65 that allows for dual hard drives but the physical drive bays needed to install both hard drives.

whatever61

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Hi WR2,

I didn't get the second sentence. you say it's not a chipset that allows dual hard drives, but it has the physical bays? what's the difference?

Thanks!

whatever61

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
ok, so you mean to say that it depends on the laptop model itself, not on the chipset and that ASUS N73SV has 2 HDD Drive bays, so I will be able to connect 2 HDD's.

Alright, thanks WR2 (If I didn't get it right, then pls let me know, because my decision depends on it!)

ASUS N73SV does have 2x 2.5" HDD bays.

A 15" chassis most often has room for just 1 hard drive bay.
Most (if not all) of the 17" notebook chassis have enough room to take dual hard drive bays.

There are some specialized laptops with extra large chassis that can take 3 HDDs and keep the ODD.
NBK-PRO-9191_G8.jpg