Looking for something sleek to take around to class

ModernCreed

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
1. What is your budget? ~500-700 (can change if needed)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 11'-13' (no bigger than 13')

3. What screen resolution do you want? Doesn't matter anything with a modern laptop resolution suits me.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable

5. How much battery life do you need? Enough to comfortably get me through a day of classes (read 5-7 hours)

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? No, but it's a nice touch

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? Just the basics, Microsoft office, internet, organizing files

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? Not a lot, this is a secondary laptop so just enough to keep my documents and some other files.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links: None yet.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? A few years preferably (2-3)

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Don't need any (use netflix a lot), but it's a nice touch.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I prefer Sony and Lenovo (specifically for Thinkpads)

-Sony VAIOs have never done me wrong and between my family we have had several
-My father has used a think pad for years with very few issues.

-I'm not partial to just about any other brand

-Absolute NO to HP (far too many bad experiences)

13. What country do you live in? Canada

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

This is going to be a secondary laptop to my powerful desktop at home (2600k / GTX 570)

I'm going to be taking it around to class so more than anything, it needs to be quick, light, and have long battery life

I was looking at the Think pad x120e, which seems exactly like what I am looking for. And to speed it up I was hoping to slap an SSD in it for good measure.

buzznut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
Have you looked at the Alienware m11x?

Apparently Dell doesn't sell the older version anymore, but I was looking on ebay earlier and saw some in mint condition in your price range.