Solved! New Laptob (Lenovo) - getting rid of the CRAP

Accrho

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
Hey all,

First post here!

I just ordered a Lenovo y570. I will get it in 2-3 days. I'm aware that it's going to come with a massive amount of crap allready installed in it. What would be the best way to get rid of all the crap? Should I just format it when I get it, or try to delete every useless application one by one?

Thanks!

-Fred

Solution
Hello Accrho;

My preferred way of dealing with 'crapware' is to first of all keep it from running at startup. Undo all unwanted/unneeded auto-start programs and processes. If it's not going to be hogging your system resources I don't see any need to delete it before you have a chance to play with it and see if there's anything in the suite of crap that you might actually want to keep. HDD storage is inexpensive.

And if you did format and start over you'd probably be re-loading the 'factory default' from the hidden recovery partition that would load the crapware right back in.
Hello Accrho;

My preferred way of dealing with 'crapware' is to first of all keep it from running at startup. Undo all unwanted/unneeded auto-start programs and processes. If it's not going to be hogging your system resources I don't see any need to delete it before you have a chance to play with it and see if there's anything in the suite of crap that you might actually want to keep. HDD storage is inexpensive.

And if you did format and start over you'd probably be re-loading the 'factory default' from the hidden recovery partition that would load the crapware right back in.

Solution