Well guys, its that time again, laptop died and time for a new one

abrown221

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
Been a long time since i have been over at good ol toms hardware, but i know with such a big decision on the horizon i had to stop by.

I have really narrowed it down between 2 different computers, and am looking for gaming performance. Period. Thats all i want, which computer will do better on video games overall.

Here are best two links i could find for the 2,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230021

http://ecomm.dell.com/dellstore/basket.aspx?itemtype=CFG&s=dhs&l=en&cs=19&c=us&&details=false

let me know if that second link does work and i will try and figure something else out. Cant really figure out how to show you guys my own custom dell specs.

Anyways, any feedback would be much appreciated, let me know which computer you vote on and why!

Solution

alright, so here's the breakdown then:
CPU: I can't put my finger on it here: asus has a first get quad core, while dell has a 2nd gen i5. In general quads are better here's the compare though...

AntiZig

Distinguished
dell link doesn't work, you can show the specs by typing them in the post box...

asus looks good, the only thing is that native res is listed as 1600x900. I don't know if that would be a concern for you, but for a 17.3" screen that's kinda low (typically you see 1920x1080 today)

get the dell specs and then you'll get more feedback

abrown221

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
XPS 17 XPS 17
Operating System Genuine Windows® Home Premium, 64-Bit, English
Processor 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i5-2410M processor 2.30 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz
Memory 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory
Keyboard Standard Keyboard - English
LCD 17.3" HD+ (900p) LED Display with 2.0MP HD Webcam
Video Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M 3GB graphics with Optimus
Hard Drive 500GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive

Here is the dell, sorry about the bad link! Yea I like the asus and dont mind that the resolution is a little lower

Irontheater

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Sorry man, can't tell you a thing about the Asus because i haven't owned one yet, but i did have a Dell, and i didn't like it (lasted me about 2.5 years). And I do know lots of other people who just didn't like the dell laptops. It is not that it just "wasn't my flavour", but it had lots of problems, the Tech support wasn't any good (it didn't answer most of my calls, didn't return all my questions ). But you will certainly find people with good experiences regarding Dell laptops.

Asus seems as though it is a good Laptop manufacturing company, and it is suggested by lots of people. They have good models, and seem to be braced by lots of people. Their tech support seems fine.

So, if i had to vote for one of the two, I would go with the Asus (because i have tried Dell, and they let me down). So, it is just your decision regarding which laptop you want to buy.

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
(1) There are a few computer/Computer components that I generally do not buy as reconditioned - Laptops fall in that catagory.

(2) Last review of Laptop reliability - !st Asus, 2nd was toshibia. Bear in mind that review was a yr old review and things change. Also Models play a part in that one model from a given manuf may poor (ie del consumer models do not fair well), but a diff model from the same manuf may be great ( again Dell Business models are very good from a reliability stand point).

AntiZig

Distinguished

alright, so here's the breakdown then:
CPU: I can't put my finger on it here: asus has a first get quad core, while dell has a 2nd gen i5. In general quads are better here's the compare though (http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=49024,52224,)
RAM: extra 2Gb on asus, don't think you need 6gb, but won't hurt in the long run.
GPU: here as dell is famous for giving you *** graphics, asus wins out by a lot, because HD 5870M is a high end gaming card (http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html). So i'd say asus here.
HDD: dell has a slightly lower capacity but faster RPM so it will read faster, i'd say dell here.
Monitor: it seems that dell has the same resolution as asus, so no difference there.

you didn't list the price on the dell, so can't comment on that. see if it's possible to get a better graphics card for dell. If not I'd say go with asus, it should get better performance in games.

One thing I have to note about dell, from my personal experience, the gray-silver-metallic paint that they use on xps machines doesn't have any finish on top of it, so it tends to wear out after a while and the palm rest will look ugly. I don't know about you, but I have sweaty hands so for me the process was extra quick, about 6 months i already had huge spots where paint has worn out.

Hope this info will help you decide

Solution