Sager vs Asus: The Best One ?

Irontheater

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Hello,
Which of these two marks manufactures Notebooks with better quality, durability, life battery, and cooling system.

The laptops will have about 18 hours per day of work, so i really want the one that is the MOST durable, and has the overall better quality.

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Hi I don't know about sager but Asus is one of the most reliable on the market right now compared to any other brand (HP, Acer, gateway, Dell ...)

If you are going with the "base" unit .....lowest CPU (i7-2630QM), lowest RAM (4GB), lowest GPU (GTX 460M) .... I'd get the Asus ..... if you are upgrading any of those above the base unit (i.e 2820QM, GTX 485M, etc), I'd go with the Clevo (Clevo makes Sager). The Asus market niche is the pick from the catalog from what's available rather than the "custom build" crowd. The Clevo's are bit more robust in that the cooling systems are designed in anticipation of a substantial % of the buyers putting in the bigger (hotter) stuff.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/91510-clevo-guide-v2-0-faq-reseller-info.html

CLEVO is a large Taiwanese computer company specializing in laptops. While the Clevo brand name is perhaps not widely known, their products are re-branded and sold by known boutique brand OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers)… notably Sager, VoodooPC, Falcon Northwest, Eurocom, etc. They are also considered (by whoever knows about notebooks) to design and manufacturer the best of the best notebooks in terms of superior build quality and innovative designs.

Irontheater

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Well, i am looking at about 1500$, which should be able to get me (according to both Sager and Asus) the i7 2.2 ghz, 8 gb RAM, 750 GB HDD,... So i think it is above your average customer notebook. So, yeah, i'll be needing strong cooling systems, and a good hardware quality in order to sustain long continuous hours of work.

So if the quote for notebookreview.com is based on objective facts, then, i might think Sager is the Way to go. Am i right?

Irontheater

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Okay, after some more searching, i had found some Very complex-ed opinions on both Asus and Sager, but all i really want is a notebook that just lasts! I have heard that Lenovo is good, but then again at some other sites, Lenovo was trashed ! I am completely lost now ! There are even some sites that review about 10 to 15 brands, but Clevo is not part of those brands, all these things are messing with my head, as i see Lenovo is ranked n2 one site, i hear of terrible experiences with these notebooks. Sager is not Classified, and Asus is 5th !

I would be really glad if someone would tell me what would best option to go for a Heavy Duty, Good construction, long lasting (and an above average performance) Laptop.

AntiZig

Distinguished
have you looked at this:
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8150-clevo-p150hm-p-2972.html?wconfigure=yes&change_view=rbm

typically you don't see Clevo/Sager ranked against brands like Dell/HP/apple etc, because they don't make budget series that are premade for low end customers.

Personally I don't have an opinion either way because I haven't had the experience of owning both asus and sager. Once I do, I'll be able to tell you.

lenovos are pretty solid machines, but they don't look too great due to their robustness. But I have a few friends who have them and they last pretty well. not to discourage you from looking at asus or sager, but lenovo i have a bit of experience with.

Irontheater

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Well, the Lenovo's ThinkPad is just looking more and more durable, the more i search, it seems good, and i'm willing to pay an extra 200--->300$ to get it.
I really don't care what they look like, i just want them to be durable. Anyone has ThnikPad, and can write what his experiences?

You should be aware that Lenovo doesn't make a laptop ..... neither does HP, neither does Dell, neither does Compaq, neither does Gateway, neither does Sony, neither does Toshiba, neither does most anyone you ever heard of or on any of those lists you are looking at. The hysterical thing is that on these lists, the one that came in 1st and the one that comes in last could very well in fact be made by the same company.

The vast majority of laptops on the market are manufactured by a small handful of Original Design Manufacturers (ODM).
Major relationships include:

Quanta sells to (among others) HP/Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Fujitsu, Acer, NEC, Gateway and Lenovo/IBM
Compal sells to Toshiba, HP/Compaq, Acer, and Dell.
Positivo Informatica sells to Samsung, Sony, Siragon, Toshiba, HP
Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to HP/Compaq, Dell, IBM, NEC, Acer, and Lenovo/IBM.
Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP/Compaq, NEC, and Dell.
Itautec sells to Siragon, LG, Samsung, Sony
ECS sells to IBM, Fujitsu, and Dell.
Asus sells to Apple (iBook), Sony, and Samsung.
Inventec sells to HP/Compaq, Toshiba, and BenQ.
Lanix sells to Sony, Compaq, Toshiba, Siragon, Itautec
Uniwill sells to Lenovo/IBM and Fujitsu & PC World UK own brand Advent.
Clevo sells to Sager, FalconNorthwest, WidowPC and other boutique brands.

Rylos07

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
You say no one makes their own.

IBM did not make their own? I was sure they made their own desktops and laptops.
Sold the laptop market to Lenovo. Thus I though Lenovo made their own always, still, or post purchase a decade or so ago?

AntiZig

Distinguished

wow man thanks, I've been looking for this list all over the place.

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
To sum it up from all the above- my hard and tested rule is to compare MODEL, not BRAND. every tier 1 and tier 2 has hits and misses, and any notebook that is not a budget economy model will last if cared for properly. to go to the "ruggedized" models are not worth it for most non-government uses, as you can buy 2 or even 3 units for the same price, similar performance specs.

as for "lasting" software wise, I just always say get the best model you can afford, and go from there.
avoid basic " consumer " units on sale at box stores or internet marketing places.
if you are really worried about it, get a unit from Dell and get the Complete care coverage, so they have to fix it no matter what for up to 5 years.