Multi purpose laptop

ghoulsrulefools

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I am looking to buy a laptop over the summer for school, normal voltage sandy bridge:
1. What is your budget?
$1500, less would be nice

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
13-14in

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1366x768 is pretty much standard at this size but higher would be preferred
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
both, but portability and weight is more of a concern

5. How much battery life do you need?
at least 3 hours of serious use or more

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I only plan on playing older games like warcraft 3 and team fortress 2 so this shouldn't be an issue even with integrated graphics.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Photoshop is the most demanding thing I would use, but I wouldn't be looking to do any high quality work.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
not a concern I plan on buying my own ssd

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
anything that's reputable

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3+ years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
dvd writer is all I can get at this size isn't it?

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
lenovo (thinkpad) and asus for durability reasons but I have already looked at the t420 and u30s/41sv
I will certainly consider other brands, also when will the envy 14 begin using the new processors?

13. What country do you live in?
united states

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
In addition to screen resolution, panel quality and overall build quality are most important to me.